Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grid tied system but utility will charge no matter direction of energy flow

Matthew Green Guest

Default Grid tied system but utility will charge no matter direction of energy flow

can anyone help me, i live in a country where its not allowed to put power back into the grid using grid tied inverters, However i did not know this until after i installed my 6kw power1 aurora inverter, i would like to know if there is a way i could prevent the power from feeding back to the grid as the utility company has installed a digital meter on my premises which registers in only 1 direction no matter what source the power is coming from. your response will be much appreciated.

thank you

Default Re: Grid tied system but utility will charge no matter direction of energy flow

Matthew,

Is there any easy you could work with local environmental groups, press, engineering school, government as a pilot/green demonstration project?

People have asked about making gt systems for use where net metering is not allowed, but I have not seen any good way to "fix" the problem yet.

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Default Re: Grid tied system but utility will charge no matter direction of energy flow

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Green View Post
    can anyone help me, i live in a country where its not allowed to put power back into the grid using grid tied inverters, However i did not know this until after i installed my 6kw power1 aurora inverter, i would like to know if there is a way i could prevent the power from feeding back to the grid as the utility company has installed a digital meter on my premises which registers in only 1 direction no matter what source the power is coming from. your response will be much appreciated.

thank you

Sounds like you've got a SMART METER installed. You will have to regulate the use of your solar, to not feed any excess to the grid.

there is no good way to connect a GT system to grid where the power company wont pay you for excess power..
    Really they make no sense to use under those conditions, as in most cases you use more power at night than day. so most of the power you generate you not using and you are also being"charged" to generate what you dont use.. its a lose lose situation.
    and most likely he got little or no govt rebates to cover install cost

Actually it sounds like he has a standard "dumb" meter, which will register flow in either direction as a positive reading on the meter (in other words, billable kw to the user).

Are you using wind power to feed the inverter?

I've heard of a few illegal PV/GTI hookups and I've wondered how it could be
    done with a digital electric meter (that charges you both ways).

You could try controlling your loads, while the inverter is putting out power,
    so that you used about the same amount of power generated.
    Stopping your meter would be the best case, but making a little less or
    a little more than you were using would reduce your bill.

A good load could be making hot water. In the winter, you could use
    that hot water for heat, as well as for washing.

I seems to be possible to trick a GTI into thinking it's tied to the grid,
    when it's really just seeing another inverter.

http://youtu.be/R9uK_mDFzmM
    I did some quick experiments with a cheap 1200w GTI and a 400w sinewave inverter.
    The sync wouldn't hold very long.. I plan to re-config and try it again soon.

Or, you could sell the GTI and get a regular inverter.

You could go for a semi-off grid setup with a SMA sunny island battery inverter and a small battery set. Since you'll have the grid available all the time, all the batteries should do it smooth out the difference between your production and consumption. So a set that only hold enough power for 12 hours -or even less- should be good enough.
    That way you can save some of the costs, because the batteries are one of the most expensive parts of an off-grid system.

Timers do help here.

Set your appliances on timers, washer at 10, dryer at 10:45, waterheater at 12, dishwasher later etc. Rest of the day float the batteries.

We did this for a while but quickly ran out of dirty laundry and dishes... To stop the GT inverter another timer does the trick. When you switch off the GT the Off Grid inverter pick up the panels...
    6-180W CETC's., Midnite Solar Classic 200, Exeltech XP-1100E, Victron 24V-350W Inv, Energizer 24V 450aH FLA. Honda EU2000i Tri-Fuel. Victron BMV-602. Meanwell PB-1000-24. In Reserve: 2-180W CETC panels, Rogue MPT-3024, Exeltech XP-1100E

Quote Originally Posted by john p View Post
    there is no good way to connect a GT system to grid where the power company wont pay you for excess power..
    Really they make no sense to use under those conditions, as in most cases you use more power at night than day. so most of the power you generate you not using and you are also being"charged" to generate what you dont use.. its a lose lose situation.
    and most likely he got little or no govt rebates to cover install cost
    It depends on what you mean by "pay you". In many utility co-ops here in Texas, the utility will never write you a check, but they allow the meter to run both directions at the same rate. If you produce more energy in a month than you use, the monthly meter reading is negative, so they won't charge you and the credit is rolled over into the next month. At the end of the year they zero it out, so if for the year you have produced more than you use, you lose the difference, so it's not worth it to install a system that will do that. Other than that, you get full retail value for every kWh you produce.

ggun I think you missed the whole point.. he lives in a country NOT USA that gives NOTHING back no credits no anything.. so your point is no point in this case.. he is just paying the power company for everything he produces and doesnt use.. not a great idea . well i dont think it is mabe you do. and he got no rebates or tax breaks for the install either.. ROI ??????297 years and 2 months 1 week aprox