No announcement yet.

Gas oven without an electric glow bar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas oven without an electric glow bar?

Hello,
    Does anybody out there have any new info about gas ovens that don't have a glow bar or other heavy electrical ignition systems?
    I keep coming up against this road block when it comes to an oven.

The Mrs' wants an oven...and I kinda like lasagna...so does anyone out there have a solution to our dilemma?...besides a mud brick wood burning one?
    (I have already built one and loved it, but not all that convenient when it's -30 outside.)

The only name I keep coming across is Peerless (Premier), but I keep reading bad things about the build quality.
    Do you have one?
    Do you like it?
    Or is it garbage?

Thanks for your input.
    I no longer have my "Currently a cobbled together spare part system and a plan of action to stick it to the man!...or stick it to myself...either way I'm gonna stick somebody!" System.
    I'm rockin' 2580 watts of Kyocera modules, 8 6volt 220 Amp/hr batts, Magnum 4448 inverter, Flexmax60, Magnum ME-RC remote, ME-BMK Battery Monitor.
    And I have confirmed that I only managed to Stick it to myself!

Re: Gas oven without an electric glow bar?

We built in one of these a couple years ago. The oven is about 6" narrower than a regular size oven, but works great for the two of us. I keep the pilot lights turned off and wife lights it manually.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-black/35476

Comment

Hi Morhpo
      I have the Premier Peerless and am satisfied. The build quality is fine for the price. If you're paying $thousands, maybe not, but for under $800 then it's fine.

I got mine through a local propane supplier, no box store carried them. A couple of out of the box issues. The thermocouple for the oven had shaken loose from it's anchor point...easy to fix, just re-align. One "spud" the little oriface for one burner was cross threaded...just a little socket to remove and replace. You could see the flame pattern was not correct when lit (before repair). These little things would be a pain if you called for a service call or had to return, but were easily remedied.

\overall, a satisfied customer.

Ralph
      http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/p...stems/hY7W5536
      see the project buildhttp://www.greenpowertalk.org/showthread.php?t=11702

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Day View Post
        Hi Morhpo
        I have the Premier Peerless and am satisfied. The build quality is fine for the price. If you're paying $thousands, maybe not, but for under $800 then it's fine.

I got mine through a local propane supplier, no box store carried them. A couple of out of the box issues. The thermocouple for the oven had shaken loose from it's anchor point...easy to fix, just re-align. One "spud" the little oriface for one burner was cross threaded...just a little socket to remove and replace. You could see the flame pattern was not correct when lit (before repair). These little things would be a pain if you called for a service call or had to return, but were easily remedied.

\overall, a satisfied customer.

Ralph
        and there is the Pro line of Pierless that are near 1K$ that look upscale.
        I had been told by them that because of federal regulations they were to discontinue the mercury based oven system they use and be force to glow plug it. Their website seems to indicate that they are recycling the mercury and maybe have found a way to continue their incredible system. Anyone want to check this further?

It basically is a spark lit pilot that stays on during baking and goes off when you turn off the oven. This allows a match to be used if there is no power which is a green light for offgrid or people who lose power and want to bake.

Almost all my people use them! They do have room for improvement as some of my most decerning customers want ceramic tops for an absolute low maintenance requirement. Nice old American company.
        http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
        "we go where the power lines don't"

Comment

Dave brings up an important point.

The "mercury based system" refers to the thermo-coupler used to detect heat and shut off the gas if no flame is present. The all-electronic stoves use electrical sensors and control valves. When a thermo-coupler fails, it fails "off". I'm not so sure the electronic systems will default that way, because components in a circuit can potentially fail to "off" or "on". Getting rid of that "unsafe mercury" may lead to greater potential for gas asphyxiation and explosion.

Hopefully not. I have never examined one of the new control circuits so I don't know how they're handling the situation. I'm just suspicious of the constant parade of "this is better" that so often turns out not to be. It's what happens when you get older.

And yes I have one of the standing pilot units. It works fine. You just have to get use to the noises made by stamped metal components expanding and contracting as it heats up and cools down.
          1220 Watts of PV, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
          Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

Comment

Hmmm?

Okay, lots of people with the same "problem".

If I was back in Latin america I could get something with no problems...I even remember seeing nice 36" stainless steel slide ins that didn't need any kind of electrical power re-ignition systems .
            Damn safety freaks!

So the peerless is ok...but not great.

I thought about an RV stove, but the wife really wants a proper range...and I don't blame her. I have put her through a lot on my little off grid mission.
            But I have considered an RV stove/oven with the stove elements turned off and hidden under the counter. Then I could just have the oven part.
            I'd install a nice stainless 36" cooktop in the counter and she will stop giving me the evil eye...hopefully.

Hmmm?

Okay,
            thanks everyone...I will keep looking around and checking in to see if anyone has some more advice.

Thanks a lot.
            I no longer have my "Currently a cobbled together spare part system and a plan of action to stick it to the man!...or stick it to myself...either way I'm gonna stick somebody!" System.
            I'm rockin' 2580 watts of Kyocera modules, 8 6volt 220 Amp/hr batts, Magnum 4448 inverter, Flexmax60, Magnum ME-RC remote, ME-BMK Battery Monitor.

Comment

Okay...I had a momentary: "my brain is going to work" moment

What about Yachts and sailboats?...they must have fancy stainless steal appliances.

Here is a company in Canada that makes such a thing as an oven that does not have a glow bar...as far as I can tell anyway.
              Not cheap though...might be cheaper to add more panels and run a glow bar...hmmmm?

http://www.force10.com/gas_gimballed_5burner.html

Comment

Originally posted by morpho View Post
                Hmmm?

If I was back in Latin america I could get something with no problems...I even remember seeing nice 36" stainless steel slide ins that didn't need any kind of electrical power re-ignition systems .
                Damn safety freaks!
                When I am in Mexico, I stock up on the half sized butane fireplace lighters without child protection that they sell there. They are great for lighting candles and things, and you don't have to contort your hands pushing one thing and pulling another to make them work. There are no children in my house, so no one is at risk.

Comment

I have one of the Atwood RV range combinations in our RV.

I would NOT recommend it for a home. The oven is too small, and too small means uneven baking even IF there's sufficient room for whatever she's cooking.

When we had to replace our home oven I just got one with a glow bar. I wince when we turn it on but after preheating, it really is glowing only half the time. I've never put my kill-a-watt on it (why bother... gotta use the oven anyway). I am sure it uses in excess of 100w.

I can say that this oven has never meant the difference between having sufficient power capacity or having to start the generator. Yeah, it sucks power, but not every day and not the whole time the oven is on.

I attempted to find a gas oven without the glow bar and had no success, partly because we needed one to fit the old opening and most ovens were too wide by a few inches. THAT and the difficulty you are experiencing finding such an animal.

Phil
                  Happily off-grid since 1977

Comment

ggunn:

SAFETY SHMAFETY!

PhilS:

Do you mind if I ask the make and model of the range you purchased?
                    I am now in the middle of trying to squeeze the info out of the companies about their glow bars. (whether they are on full time or intermittently)

Thanks

Comment

ggunn:

SAFETY SHMAFETY!

PhilS:

Do you mind if I ask the make and model of the range you purchased?
                      I am now in the middle of trying to squeeze the info out of the companies about their glow bars. (whether they are on full time or intermittently)

Thanks
                      I think Frigidaire. I have had to replace the glow bar once and learned more about it from an appliance repair forum.

The current flow through the glow bar is what energizes the fuel solenoid. First the glow bar starts to heat, then when resistance is low enough the gas turns on.

I doubt any of the ovens would keep the bar glowing all the time.

Phil
                      Happily off-grid since 1977

Comment

Thanks!

I was just trying to figure out on the Fridgidaire website if they had had 300w or 1500w glow bars

okay....back to the intertube search...

Comment

As far as the peerless premier pro blah blah....
                          I am not looking to wow anybody with how cool looking my range is....(maybe my wife is) I simply don't want to buy a piece of junk.

Would any of you buy it again?

I wish I could have a look at one first hand.

Comment

Hmmm?

Damn safety freaks!

So the peerless is ok...but not great.

I thought about an RV stove, but the wife really wants a proper range...and I don't blame her. I have put her through a lot on my little off grid mission.
                            But I have considered an RV stove/oven with the stove elements turned off and hidden under the counter. Then I could just have the oven part.
                            I'd install a nice stainless 36" cooktop in the counter and she will stop giving me the evil eye...hopefully.

Hmmm?

Okay,
                            thanks everyone...I will keep looking around and checking in to see if anyone has some more advice.

Thanks a lot.
                            How it he-- did you read that the Perrless/Premier is "OK and not great"? Look at the website. You can oder these from Lowes. You can look all you want but there is very little choice here. A glow plug oven will cycle on and off about 300 watts when the flame is on. For a large offgrid system this is no big deal and easily done by running generators.

If you want to minimize the energy you need and like to bake alot in the heart of winter, a glow plug oven is just a poor way to design! Good luck!
                            http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
                            "we go where the power lines don't"

Comment

ggunn:

SAFETY SHMAFETY!
                              Well, there's safety and then there's safety. Seat belts in cars? Sure. Guard rails on staircases? Absolutely. Fall protection for workers on rooftops? I'm for that.

But our litigious society has taken things to extremes, like a warning label on a hammer advising you that if you hit yourself over the head with it, it may cause injury. Wow, really?

Actually, I'm not opposed to "child protection" measures on sources of fire (although a study I heard about on the radio showed that most kids can figure out how to get around it), it's just that it's not needed in all cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X