Hybrid Solar/UPS inverter 1500 watt without mttp function and intended fix

Options
Sandtiger
Sandtiger Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1

I have a hybrid solar/ups inverter (off Grid), which adds the energy from solar into the energy from utility line in-order to charge the batteries and power the attached load on the dedicated line. This was the best which I found in the market and full fill all my needs as it does not let the load or batteries starved once solar is not available.

Now problem is that I recently realized that it does not have an mppt (Maximum power point tracking function) and I have looked into the local market as none of the hybrids inverters offers the feature of mttp which is very strange.

I have a question as I am looking forward to buy 50 amperes mttp controller and can I add the output of that mttp controller (battery output) to the input of my hybride solar/ups inverter (Solar input pins on hybrid) as I want to retain that controller.

Can I do this, in short things will be like this.

• Solar output from panels to the input of mttp controller
  • Battery output of mttp controller into solar panels input of my hybrid converter.

P.S the specific mttp controller which I want to buy does not converts the DC into AC

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #2
    Options
    Hello Sandtiger,

If you have the unit I think you do, then it has a PWM controller built-in with a bidirectional 1500 watt inverter/charger. It has a solar PV input connection, a battery input connection, and an AC input and output receptacle. It can be charged by solar or AC grid and loads can be supported by battery/inverter or grid.

If this is the case, the output of the MPPT controller cannot be connected to the PV input. However you may be able to bypass the PV input and connect the output of the MPPT controller directly to the battery bank. Be sure to use an appropriately sized DC breaker on the positive cable. This would bypass the PWM controller and the the microprocessor control system may display no PV input. It should still work if it has a charged battery as solar is not necessary to operate this unit.

Rick    
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Sandtiger
    Sandtiger Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    thank you for your kind reply, i understand what you mean, connect MPPT controller from battery, thank you, i have few more questions, which i would ask in a while.