Options
1235»

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sunny Island/Rolls 530-S charging question
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Having been Photowhit on solar forums and active in usenet groups before the WWW, this is the "friendly forum". Heck I've even been banned from a forum in which my last discussion was being too busy to be a moderator. If your looking for someone not friendly toward solar find a forum with a sunking lurking!

Just for grins, I did a Google search for "sunking lurking" and sure enough the other forum was on the first page of results. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • palausystem
    palausystem Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ...after my requests about trimetric reading went ignored by the original poster...

Photwit - didn't mean to ignore your requests: I reset the Trimetric cumulative Ah counter to zero on Sat morning and by Mon morning it was at 140Ah of battery drain. Sat was a little cloudy, Sun was clear. So that's 70 Ah of Battery used per day. Tthe sun is on the panels for 4.5 hrs to gather 13.5 Kwh X .52 = 7Kwh/day. I saw a conversion formula somewhere of 22Ah to 1Kwh. Which would mean the potential of gathering 154Ah/day. Use 70 for loads, put 70 back into the Battery....am I on the right track? I suppose if I check the Trimetric next weekend I will have more to go on. Do you have suggestions about how to use this counter?

This time of year we get about 4.5 hrs full sun on the panel. In the Summer it's more like 8 - 8.5.

I discovered an oak tree that could be topped to maybe give us an extra hour in the morning this time of year. (excited to get that done).
    3.2kw/PV is not a bad design for a 800Ah/48V battery bank and it could work very well with 4/5kw daily loads, who can afford 4 or 5kw PV array to meet C10. There is no problem here as long as these batteries are fully charged twice a week (with the right parameters). But from my experience, i do not trust new owners when they claimed: my system does not perform well. There could be so much reasons and the main one is that they don't want to take the time to understand their system.

Solar Musher -
    I appreciate your comments. I'm still trying to work out the best settings. As Cariboocoot pointed out, the installer knew little about how to care for the batteries and so our system rarely did a full charge for 3 years. So the battery has spent most of its life hovering in the high 80's SOC.
    He did design the system based on 6Kwh daily use. So by your standards, it is not a great design - it could work "very well" if it were more like 4.5Kwh daily loads, you say.
    From my own load analysis using the Kill-A-Watt meter, we use somewhere around 5.5 - 6Kw in the winter. I'm working on keeping it closer to 5Kwh.

So much to think about!
    We don't have the $ for more panels at this point. Not sure how much more the Sunny Boy will allow.
    I'll have a week's record of battery discharge in Ah next weekend, but not sure how that helps what with all the variables.

Haven't had time to do more hi-volts EQ treatments on the batteries. Have been doing more regular Full charges. If I don't see improvement in the one weak voltage battery I will report back for more help on that.
    Off-grid 48v, 3 kw PV, Sunny Island 5048U, SunnyBoy, US Battery RE L16XC  6v, 800ah, Genset: Kohler 8.5 RES propane.
  • palausystem
    Options

The Trimetric shows the weekly battery draw to be 576Ah or 82Ah per day.
    Using the 21ah per 1kWh number, I get about 4kW of loads supplied by the battery each day.
    If I derate that 4kWh for inverter conversion (nameplate 95% efficient), I get 3.8kWh.
    I guess in order to figure my average daily usage for this time of year I need to figure out (or just guesstimate) how much of my daily load was PV supplying during daylight.

Does this all sound right so far?
    Off-grid 48v, 3 kw PV, Sunny Island 5048U, SunnyBoy, US Battery RE L16XC  6v, 800ah, Genset: Kohler 8.5 RES propane.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

The numbers are consitent (82AH * 48 volts = 3,936 Watt*Hours per day)... Of course, if you are using power during the day when the solar panels are charging--You will have some addition, undocumented by the battery monitor, power usage.

4 kWH per day for an off home is a very reasonable amount of power.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dmajwool
    dmajwool Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    This is a strictly off-grid system, is it? I'm confused. Normally one would not use a Sunny Boy + Sunny Island for off-grid.

Hi In this my first post I'd like to say thanks for all the useful reading I've found in these forums.

I'm in the UK and have recently installed a similar system. Two reasons why these SMA AC coupled system components compensate for their slightly lower than perfect energy harvesting efficiency are:

1. It is possible to site the Sunny Island grid controller and battery bank several hundred metres away from the PV array (and any wind or water turbines controlled by WindyBoy and HydroBoy inverters). Future expansion of the generation capacity is IMO easier to achieve on the AC buss in the most appropriate areas of my farmland without needing to touch the SI hub of the system.

2. The UK government's micro generation financial incentives are paid on metered generation and their published list of approved meters are all AC. They don't envisage adding any DC meters. So, if you want to claim from the scheme you need to measure your generation as AC before it gets into the mini-grid and mixed with any non-renewable sources of power.

Cheers

David.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum David.

In subsequent posts in this thread you see it is off-grid, not grid-tie. Also as has been pointed out it is not necessary to do the double current conversion to achieve the long-distance advantage of a high Voltage array. Using a high Voltage MPPT controller is more efficient, and cheaper on these shores.

What's more it isn't located in the UK. :D As such, what incentives may apply is a local thing. This is one of the toughest parts of answering questions here! People often ask about rebates/tariffs/feed-in allowances et cetera, and the only answer that is right is "check with the locals".

Glad we have another UK local on hand as I never would have guessed that such a set-up could qualify in that way. They'd really let you add the output of the Sunny Boy to the Sunny Island and come up with 8kW of allowance? It doesn't seem right somehow. I'd think they'd just meter from house to grid, which would mean the upper limit would be whatever flows from the panels: 3kW maximum in this case.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    Glad we have another UK local on hand as I never would have guessed that such a set-up could qualify in that way. They'd really let you add the output of the Sunny Boy to the Sunny Island and come up with 8kW of allowance? It doesn't seem right somehow. I'd think they'd just meter from house to grid, which would mean the upper limit would be whatever flows from the panels: 3kW maximum in this case.

Nope, they only pay for total generated power so the meter would go on the output of the Sunny Boy. Also the meters work like normal electricity meters and measure kWh produced, not peak kW. It doesn't matter whether it's off-grid or on-grid, they pay for power generated by renewables... count me in the jealous camp.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »
    Nope, they only pay for total generated power so the meter would go on the output of the Sunny Boy. Also the meters work like normal electricity meters and measure kWh produced, not peak kW. It doesn't matter whether it's off-grid or on-grid, they pay for power generated by renewables... count me in the jealous camp.

Ah, another fine example of government not understanding what it's doing. :p

We have -zero- incentives of any kind here in B.C. where hydro is $0.10 per kW hour. And they wonder why people are installing solar?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »

Are you saying that I could get paid to hook up some panels to a large resister? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Are you saying that I could get paid to hook up some panels to a large resister? --vtMaps

Only if you convert it to AC and run it through a power meter first. :roll:
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only if you run it through a GTI and power meter. :roll:

No GTI needed:
    stephendv wrote:
    It doesn't matter whether it's off-grid or on-grid, they pay for power generated by renewables... count me in the jealous camp.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    No GTI needed:

--vtMaps

Except it has to be metered AC to qualify.
    If my original post hadn't fallen apart so many times that would have been there. Don't know what's going on with that.
  • palausystem
    Options

I'm looking to improve the sulfated batteries and am thinking about the Iota charger that Cariboocoot suggested.
    He said I might get a 12v charger and work on 2 batteries at a time. The model I am looking at is the DLS-55 which is 55 amp. The spec says it can charge at 2.46v per cell, and so that seems a bit low for what I'm trying to do, unless I am missing something about this process? Isn't the goal to get the voltage up to more like 2.65?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm looking to improve the sulfated batteries and am thinking about the Iota charger that Cariboocoot suggested.
    He said I might get a 12v charger and work on 2 batteries at a time. The model I am looking at is the DLS-55 which is 55 amp. The spec says it can charge at 2.46v per cell, and so that seems a bit low for what I'm trying to do, unless I am missing something about this process? Isn't the goal to get the voltage up to more like 2.65?
    You can't really do a equalize charge without making some adjustments to the IOTA. There are 8 or so screws to remove the outer cover. On the circuit board there is a 10 turn potentiometer ( blue in color, rectangular in shape w/ small silver adjustment screw on the fan end of the charger ) IOTA's have two voltage outputs, one with the plug in the jack and one without. On the 12 V it's 13.4 v and 14.2 v. With the screw and a small screwdriver you can crank it up to about 15.5 V with the plug in and with a DVM on the output to adjust it.

The one that you want to order is the Plain DLS-55 without IQ-4. You can always buy the IQ-4 module for $25 or so if you want it.

Added Content : I am adding this so it stays together with the above.

I use a Xantrex C-35 or C-60 in this case ( because of amperage ) to regulate the charge output of the IOTA's on a 24/7 basis when I have grid. It will allow you to regulate a 3 stage charge and do a equalize from it and it's a set once and forget. It will also let you have a BTS on the controller. This set up has worked very well for the last couple of years. The Charge Controller is not necessary if your just going to Equalize with it, but you have to reset the voltage output if your going to do daily charging with it when your done and with the permanent controller , you don't. I have a 12 V and a 24 V both set up this way. The other two I have are used to Equalize only so they stay up at max voltage with battery clamps and mobile.
  • Azores
    Azores Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options

Hi all,

I live on the Azores (middle of Atlantic) , Portugal, I am off grid since 2010.... and I write a very bad English. !!! of course, I'm French ... impossible to be perfect ...
    I have exactly the same problems as palausystem with these battery.

I have a pack of Rolls 5000 - 963A / c100 - 567 C10.
    Sunny Island 5048
    3.5 kw pv (sunny boy)
    3.5kw wind turbine (sunny boy 3800 turbine mode)

Since the beginning of the installation (all the equipment was new), the SI was unable to manage the Rolls. Once the Batsoc drops below 70%, you only consume 500W, you see that the batsoc collapses to 20%, and of course, blackout! (and after, to clims to 80% needs only 2 hours with 3.5 kw from the Atlas copco !!! , and the SI jumps directly from 40% to 75% !!!)

The SI is configured correctly, 560A C10; (today) battery load factor (320.03) 1.10, good!
    Yesterday at 10Pm I had a batsoc 80%, this morning, 9 Am 18% consumption 2.1kw tonight ....with 18% batsoc I tested the acid density on all cells; 1.25 to 1.27! battery FULL!:grr

At first, I thought the battery were sulphated ... because they were in stock at the supplier, but they are good, they have already assured the transfer of 10000kw in 5 years, if they were sulphated, they would be dead for long time.

I think Rolls batteries have a discharge curve, completely different than conventional OPzS. The ratio VOLT versus Delivred Power is not at all conventional and SI batsoc algorithm is completely lost.

Did you found a solution, or the problem persists.

best regards

Jan
  • BB.
    Options

Welcome to the forum Jan!

What is the Battery Bank AH rating (20 hour rating)?

What is the battery voltage at various points (charging, floating, discharging, etc.)?

What is the voltage drop at the inverter/charger and charge controller/etc... When you have heavy current flow (too small of diameter cable can cause high voltage drop--Which can confuse charge controllers/limit charging current)?

I may move your post to your own thread if this gets long--Easier to not confuse with the original poster's thread.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Azores
    Options

Hi Bill,

Battery Bank AH rating C20 is 683 Ah

Distance betwenn Sunny Island and the battery pack 1,5m; (+ / - same lenght ) section 50mm2
    The battery voltage float/boost/eq are the respecting the Rolls instructions; float 2.21 / boost 2.4 / eq 2.62. Two years ago I tried to put more voltage, the maximum possible cf Rolls: this does not change the problem, but the batteries were terribly thirsty :p; I returned to my previous settings.

I forgot to mention that I have a Sma shunt directly on the pack, for more precision.

When batsoc tells me 18%, the voltage of the pack to 47.6 / 47.8 but it still has a small load on the 230Volt bus.
    This morning, the funnier was that the sun had just risen, I was loading 400W and the pack was at 51 Volt with 1.25 / 1.27 acid gravity ...

"I may move your post to your own thread if this gets long--Easier to not confuse with the original poster's thread.
    "
    Yes ...and no...what is really strange is that this problem is exactly the same as palausystem problem... and since december 2012 no more message, I hoped the solution would have been found, which is why I posted on this thread.

Thanks Bill

PS: I don't know if know how it works on a Sma Sunny Island, when you are programming the installation, you must enter the following parameters for the battery:
    Type of battery
    Capacity Ah in C10
    Voltage float / boost / eq
    PV power
    Genset power etc etc...
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jan,

Normally, the 20-Hour Capacity is used when referring to the Capacity of a battery used in solar charged systems.

From your data, believe that you have the Surrette 6CS21P battery. This should have a nominal Capacity of about 683 AH -- 650 Ah is really a better number for this.

For any Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) battery, one must use a Hydrometer to determine just how well the battery is being charged -- measuring the Specific Gravities (SG) of each cell , Then, Absorption voltage and time changes should be made to get the SGs where they need to be.

The SI may choose to end Absorption by measuring the charge current being delivered into the battery to determine the best time to end Absorb (this is often called Ending Amps, or Finishing Current). If the SI has been using this current to stop the Absorption stage, correct Ah Capacity values may be needed to have the battery fully charged.

What are the Absorption voltage settings for all charge sources -- Inverter, Charge Controller (CC), etc ?

How often do you perform Equalization (EQ)?

What is the EQ voltage setting?

How much Distilled Water does this battery bank consume every month or two?

More later, Thanks for the answers. The Surrette 5000s here are in their tenth year of service, FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Azores
    Options

Hi Vic,

Surrette 6CS21P battery :exactly

What are the Absorption voltage settings for all charge sources -- Inverter, Charge Controller (CC), etc ? 2.62 V and I have only a SI 5048 , no other charge controler

How often do you perform Equalization (EQ)? every 3 month

How much Distilled Water does this battery bank consume every month or two? less that 1 dl per month (0.026gal ? )

This morning (batsoc 18%), the funnier was that the sun had just risen, I was loading 400W and the pack was at 51 Volt with 1.25 / 1.27 acid gravity > all cells tested. Last EQ 3 month ago explain the difference 1.25 to 1.27.
    at the same time the sunny island says 18%, and the specific gravity is between 1.25 and 1.27 .... not logical, I have more confidence in my hydrometer.

At first I was angry against Surrette, but I realize that it's SMA which causes problems, for me it's a SMA software problem.

The balance between Kw in and Kw out in the battery is good and SOH indicate 93%.

Thanks
    Jan
  • BB.
    Options

Is that per cell or whole bank worth of water per month.

-Bill
  • Azores
    Options

per cell of course , in the 6CS21P the difference lead contact and full water is about 8 deciliter , normally I should fill up water every six months, with my settings.
    I check every two months.
    I still adds further details: my consumption is 6.5 kw per day, but the half is consumed directly through the Bus 230 V.

Jan
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jan,

Just now read your previous post -- you and I had posted in the same minute, and you won.

Yes, 2.4 Vpc is probably at the low range of what Surrette recommends. It is good that you are using some water, but the stated amount seems a bit on the low-side to me. However, you noted that the SGs are in a reasonable range and that is when you measure all cells.

So your system appears to be a Grid Interactive system, I guess. I have no experience at all with these systems.

And the SI's SOC values make no sense, give the measured SGs that you have (assume that these SGs were taken at a time close to when the curious SOC readings on the SMA devices showed such low values).

Hope that someone else with a similar system will comment on your issues. All for now ... back to work. Good Luck! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Azores
    Options

Hi Vic,

Just now read your previous post -- you and I had posted in the same minute, and you won. this is normal! ,the sun first rises over the Azores ;)

So your system appears to be a Grid Interactive system My system is 100% off-grid, the only difference is that I have a 230V Bus (no 48V bus) The Sunny Island is an 5kw Inverter/charger , the Sunny boy only is an inverter which supplies 230 V to the 230 V Bus, you can have 3 inverters (or more) on your mini grid, this means that when there is sun, mini-grid's power is equal to the sum of the Sunny Boy + the power of the Sunny Island. This is what is interesting in the Sma system. In my case 3kw solar + 3kw wind + 5 kw Sunny Island , theoretically 11kw , the reality is of course a bit different...

(assume that these SGs were taken at a time close to when the curious SOC readings on the SMA devices showed such low values). measure taken in real time

thank you for everything Vic and I wish you good day ... I'm going to bed 11 pm for me :-)
  • BB.
    Options

Filling every 6 months may be a bit on the low side... Check with your battery folks to confirm (some batteries naturally use more water than other designs).

-Bill
  • Azores
    Options

Hi Bill,

I make the battery levels at the same time I do the checks.
    Living on an island of 14,000 inhabitants located 2000 km of a continent requires a lot of caution. The level of an electrician is very low not even basic.
    An order on the continent takes six weeks to be delivered ( Portuguese third world )
    Life in winter looks like this, this it's our bus when we need to go to the doctor or hospital ... enjoy !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbvz2SnbPMk

Jan
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jan,

I have the same sunny island, but with PzS forklift batteries and a DC install, no sunny boy. The SoC reading has been OK for me, except for the occasional sudden jump of +-10% for no reason.
    I can only think of two things for you to try:

1. Configure the Sunny Island to ignore the shunt (You'll have to check the manual on how to do this, but you'll definitely have to tell the SI that there is no shunt, rather than just unplugging the shunt). Since all the charging and discharging goes through SI, the shunt shouldn't be necessary, and since the SI bases it's SoC on what the shunt sees, it'll be a good start to remove this and see what happens.

2. What are your settings for the "Full" charge? The SoC meter resets itself to 100% _only_ if the requirements programmed into the full charge are met, so if you only do a Full charge every 30 days then the SoC might get lost and not reset to 100% often enough. I would set the Full charge to at least every 7 days, 4 hours and 2.45V.
  • palausystem
    Options

Welcome to the forum. I was already getting seasick watching that boat on the waves!

Our system is running fairly well now. Since I may be the only one on this forum that has similar hardware thought I should chime in.

Boost - 2.5v 2 hrs
    Full - this rarely happens automatically so I give a full charge every two weeks or so by using ChrgSelMan for manual EQ with the settings at 2.52-2.55 for about 4 hrs
    EQ - I have two battery strings so I EQ one string at a time for maximum effect...I do this once a year, it takes most of the day for generator and sun to do their thing. Next day switch to other string. Of course you have to change the AH settings if you do this.
    I'll do a full bank EQ once a year as well.

I'd say that when the SI starts acting erratically with the SOC jumping around, the heavy EQ is what fixed it for us.
  • Azores
    Options

Hi Stephen,

the first 4 years I had no shunt, the result was the same ...

I put a shunt because I had an experience with a Kestrel turbine loading in parallel with a Midnite Classic (Kestel poorly designed but Midnite is fantastic)

Midnite period, the problem remained exactly the same.

I think more and more that the discharge algorytme Rolls / Surettes is too different from a classical algorithm. I did a quick diagram to explain what I think.

Just a fact: Rolls 965 Ah / C120 but only 560Ah / C10 (my SI is calibrated for the C10 value of course).

Attachment not found.

Full charge every 15 boost (2 weeks) Voltage 2.42 V , 5 hours , it gives me 98% / 95% batsoc.

Jan
  • Azores
    Options

Hi paulausystem,

Ocean ...This winter fortunately is quieter, but normally, it's like this for 4-5 months.

Full: you can give the order (every x days) through the parameter 222.05 Cycful.

I will try with your settings 2.5V in boost, now I have 2.4V for 2h20

Thank you all for having me answered so quickly.

To Stephen, life is strange, I live in the Azores, I write on a forum on the West Coast of the USA, you live in Spain and in October I went two km from your home. I went from Toulouse to Lisbon, as every year ...

What kind of forklift battery do you have?

Jan
  • BB.
    Options

Jan,

Have not been to Portugal, but spent about a month going around Brazil... Great food, very interesting culture, interesting weather (very hot in the interior, summer "showers" that put 2 feet of water in the streets--30 minutes later, all gone and dry again).

Forum is out of Arizona, Flagstaff (Northern Arizona Wind & Sun). Two Canadian and one California (US) moderator.

We try to have some fun here while keeping the discussions mostly technical.

-Bill