"Remanufactured" Kyocera panels?

Options
WYsolar
WYsolar Solar Expert Posts: 31
List,

I have come across someone locally who is selling "remanufactured" Kyocera pv panels. They are used KC120 models, and the seller is asking $200 each. This seems quite high to me considering these were made in Sept. of 2006.

Questions:
1) Are reman panels ok to use?
2) Is this a reasonable price? I thought to offer $0.85/watt instead of the $1.67/watt he is asking.
3) Am I correct that these are basically 100 watt/6amp/12v panels? In other words I can use a good PWM controller instead of having to find the more expensive MPT style that is required for higher voltage panels?

Thanks for the advice.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: "Remanufactured" Kyocera panels?

A few things cross my mind:

1). What is "remanufactured" about them? Solar panels either work or they don't. Were they taken apart and had bad cells replaced or what? Most likely they are just used panels that have been cleaned up (possibly had leads with MC4 connectors attached).

2). The Vmp is 16.9; actually a tad low for a 12 Volt system (17.5 to 18 is preferable).

3). You probably won't see their like again, so being able to add "more of the same" later is unlikely.

4). $1.67 per Watt is good value for a small 12 Volt panel. A KD140 is around $2.00 per Watt, but large panels are less and sometimes bargains can be had for under $1.00 per Watt.

5). What's the warranty? 20 Years? No, I didn't think so.

The most important question is: do they suit your needs (including system application, quantity, and price)?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Years ago, there were a whole bunch of 120 watt Kyocera panels that had been returned to the factory due to mfg. problems causing early life failure...

I wonder if these are from this period of time--Possibly panels that were replaced from a whole array but some of them tested/inspected OK. (who knows, perhaps not "all" 120 watt Kyocera panels from this time were bad).

This thread has some information on the "R" model (was panels that were returned and tested "good"). Note the Solar Guppy links are no longer good.

And from another thread--the orginal panels are probably from 2000-2002.
    BB. wrote: »
    Panels should be fine. There was a run of 120 Watt panels back around 2000-2002 that had interconnect failures--that is about all I would look for (130+ watt panels are probably newer production).

-Bill

PS: From what I have read, Kyocera was very fair about warranty returns. So no concern there either.

I would be hard pressed to pay near full retail for these panels--And it is kind of strange that the Vmp has been derated.

If you saved a bunch of money on shipping and can get some sort of 10+ year warranty--May be worth it...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • WYsolar
    WYsolar Solar Expert Posts: 31
    Options

Thanks for your valuable advice, Mods. Without a warranty of any kind I am thinking I will pass on these. They are too expensive for the risk.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

YES, Run AWAY!! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Everlong
    Everlong Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Options

For me, if there is a chance that few months from the initial install i would have to go up the roof and start replacing/fighting with it, i would just say fu@k it, save yourself hassle and money.

If anything like that would happen to me, i would just tore it off the roof, throw it down prefferable onto the driveway so later i can just put them into a garbage bag, and go buy new panels.

Run from it!!!!