Which MPPT Charge Controller for a 24 volt system?

Options
2»

Comments

• ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Which MPPT Charge Controller for a 24 volt system?

Make sure you buy wire with MC4 connectors on them and don't cut the panel wire as it usually voids the warranty..

Buy double the length you need for the run and then cut in half.. you will end up with a + and - lead to connect to your panel.. the other end will be bare and go into the combiner box. (example below)..

You can buy raw 10/11AWG wire and then buy MC4 connectors as well.. whatever works for you..

smallPVwirecut.jpg
  • RickeyH
    RickeyH Solar Expert Posts: 39
    Options

Well thanks to all the help from this forum I installed my panels this week and fired up the system. Only using 2 panels wired in series at the moment with the cabling running over the roof. Next week I will cut a hole in the roof and connect the remaining panels. I am using an old truck battery at the moment (12 volt) so I will only have 4 of the panels in use so as to not exceed the charge controller voltage limitations. Panel will be mounted on a wall (once I have built it) and I will make a box for the batteries. Enjoying learning and hope I haven't made too many mistakes. Investment so far is around $2,000. Will upgrade the batteries to a 24 volt system at a later date.

Over the last 3 days with temperature up to 30 degrees C we have been running the Engel fridge and charging cordless tool batteries during the day. Each morning the battery completed charging by around 10:00am. Weather was very sunny though with cold nights so not a big load on the battery. Today it was overcast and very wet so we came home.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Rickey
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options

Now that you've had your system up and running for a while, how happy are you with your charge controller? I see the Tracers offered on FleaBay and from some of the local Solar retailers, and was wondering how well they perform.
  • RickeyH
    RickeyH Solar Expert Posts: 39
    Options

Howdy Rybren, I've had no problems at all with the charge controller. I'm still running a 12 volt system and hence only using 2 of the panels. Did have one moment where I decided to do some wiring after a few drinks and ending up blowing the terminal fuse on the battery but no issues at all with the charge controller.

Regards
    Rickey
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Drinking and batteries don't mix, I guess. :D