Batteries for 24v system.. oh boy..

Options
ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I see US Battery, Trojan, NAPA, Optima, etc..

I like the US Battery XC185 (200 ah) 12v... ($200 each x 2)
and the NAPA 8144 (186 ah) or 8146 (226 AH) 6V ($138 each x4)
Optima D31m (75 ah).. ($200 x 2)
Marine Maxx 29 series from Walmart.. (125ah).. ($90 x 2)
and the standard GC2's from Sams/Costco, etc.. ($85 each x 4)

Where do you folks buy yours.?? and if you order online from whom (to be safe)??

I'd rather not spend $540 on 4 6v batteries.. (8144 NAPA * 4)..

Would I be better to buy 2 cheaper 12 VDC batteries to setup my system 1st ($200 total for 2 of the 29S from Walmart).. then a 1 year later or so buy better ones when I can afford it??

I rather (I think) get all 4 of my panels installed.. then forgo chopping 1-2 off and going for better batteries..

Which way would you folks go???

Also I am trying to use a reputable dealer for my 190 W 24V (36 VMP /5.x CMP) panel search.. shipping IS A FACTOR.. I found Civic Solar and SimplyRay to have close pricing.. anyone use them?? its like $1270-1290 for 4 panels delivered from either/both.. any suggestions.. I see EnergyBay.. UL-Solar, SolarBlvd, unlimited-solar.. so confusing..

I see the Astro Energy 190 w from NAWS for $1378 shipped.. which has the same spec level..

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Batteries for 24v system.. oh boy..

I would avoid the Optima and Marine Max batteries as neither is the right kind for what you're doing.

The others are all flooded cell lead-acid that you can take an SG reading from, right?

So multiply the Amp hours * system Voltage of each choice to get the total Watt hours. Divide this by the total price for the number of batteries needed to meet the system Voltage (total cost of battery bank). This will give you a cost per Watt hour for each selection so you can compare which is the best bargain. These are all low-end golf-cart type batteries, so performance will be about the same.

I can't speak to the "where to buy panels" question because I live in Canada where everything is bloody expensive. :cry:
  • ywhic
    Options

Finding the US Batt 185 to be a good choice.. the $200 each is great.. the $130 s/h fee not.. $530..

Found some Interstates GC2 at 235ah... $133 each.. cheaper for the LOCAL NAPA 8144's
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Talk to your local golf course and see where they get their batteries...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

The best ROI I have ever found will be GC2's Sams Club or Cosco @ $80 to $95.00 each. I usually get 5-7 years. They will be 220 amp to 235 amp depending the ones you chose. Even if you get 3 years or so they end up the best unless you can find a super deal on some.
  • ywhic
    Options

I found a local Batteries Plus whom has Rayovac Ultra 226ah for $127 and $13 core.. no shipping... or a local Interstate Battery dealer.. has the GC2-XHD-UT (220ah) for $146 and the core $12..

I guess I can get the rest ready to go for the setup.. when I get to the area (ELP) I can check around for Sams/Costco..

Anyone have tips on suggested online dealers for the panels???
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ywhic wrote: »
    I found a local Batteries Plus whom has Rayovac Ultra 226ah for $127 and $13 core.. no shipping... or a local Interstate Battery dealer.. has the GC2-XHD-UT (220ah) for $146 and the core $12..

I guess I can get the rest ready to go for the setup.. when I get to the area (ELP) I can check around for Sams/Costco..

Anyone have tips on suggested online dealers for the panels???
    Whoever you get them from, check the manufacture date. We have a local Batteries Plus and I saw some there that were 9 months old and not under a charge. The guy says, " we'll charge them before you pick them up ". At 9 months old, they would be already sulfated.

The idea is to get them as fresh as you can.

I had a post a couple weeks ago about the Interstate GC2-XHD-UT. It has twice the plates as a regular GC-2, but they are half as thick as a normal GC-2. Is that a good thing ??, I have no clue. I bought 10 from a guy that said they would not hold a charge @ a year old, I hooked them up and EQ them and sold 6 of them and kept 4. They seem fine so far.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I guess your between Larado, San Angelo, El Paso, , Odessa, along the Mexican border, but those locals all have Sams clubs, Costco's in Jarez and San Antonio, I think. Maybe 200 miles away? I traveled 200 miles(round trip) to get batteries made in the last 6 weeks, rather than batteries mad 4 months ago at the local Sams club. These are 'clubs' and you have to be a member, check local small businesses, many often they will use these to purchase quantity and able to mark up. My campground does! and you might offer to pay for some gas in exchange for using their membership and transportation.

Might also ask if someone here can meet you at one of the clubs so you can use their membership. I had someone locally ask and met them in Columbia, MO!

As to panels, NAWS sells panels, and it would be awkward to offer alternatives in their forum. I've sent a PM with places I've shopped, and will make one more suggestion in a new PM.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.