Connector options for wiring 8 - KD-135-SX-UPU's...

Options
frankson
frankson Registered Users Posts: 22
I have 8 - KD-135-SX-UPU panels that I need to wire up into two sets of 4 panels each delivering 48 vdc.

What are my wiring connector options with the KD-135-SX-UPU junction box to best accomplish above?

Appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Connector options for wiring 8 - KD-135-SX-UPU's...

I am not quite sure I understand... I assume you picked Vmp-Array to be ~70.8 volts (STC)? Either for a 48 volt battery bank with PWM or MPPT charge controller, or a lower voltage battery bank with MPPT type controller?

You will be using UV rated wiring, will try to have wires entering from bottom of box with drip loops? May consider drilling weep holes in lowest corner of junction box (this is standard for many outdoor/exposed electrical installations--Not really sure if this is "approved" or recommended for solar panel or not--anyone with better information?)?

With two parallel strings of panels--Assuming you do not add more parallel strings later, you do not need a combiner box with fuse/breaker per parallel string connection (usually only needed for strings with 3 or more parallel panel strings).

If you will add more panels later--do you have a plan? (if PWM, add 4x panels at a time in parallel, add combiner/fuse box--If MPPT, you could add two panels at a time to the existing string and put 5 or 6 panels in series total--depending on local temperatures and controller rating).

You have the grounding/grounding clips and 6 awg wire all lined up?

Sorry--I am not quite sure I understand your question.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Caneman
    Caneman Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^^ is a "drip loop" as simple as making a small loop in the line just outside the junction box?

I plan on making small junction boxes to attach the panel mc4 connectors to for each string... these small junction boxes will have m/f mc4 connectors attached to the outside so the pv mc4 connections can attach directly to them...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Yes, you want the loop below the box to keep water off the box openings.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset