Difference between inverters?

Options
Seven
Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
I am looking at offgrid inverters that are in the 2000 to 4000w range. I have searched the site and read over 100 threads about inverters in the last two days. I have printed out and compared specs for most of the ones in that wattage range for 24v systems. I have read the one thread about problems with Magnums, I have read several threads that have posts relating to the complexity of using the Outback inverters, I have read about the lack of surge in the Samlex inverters.

After reading all of this, I am still unsure which one to get. The chargers(Samlex excluded) are all about the same and the draw of most of them in standby is about the same(search modes are nice). As for real world experience, is one of them better than the other? I will be running a smaller inverter, probably Samlex, for the constant light loads, but as far as the normal loads is there really any difference? I am not at the point where stackability is a concern.

Thoughts? suggestions?

BTW... The bank right now is only 380ah. When I get more panels I will go to 760ah. I have the MS classic 150 CC.

Comments

• Seven
    Options
    Re: Difference between inverters?

The models that will meet my needs are as follows, in no particular order.

Exeltech xp 2000:
    2000w,4000w surge(don't know how long) 12w standby $1277.00

Outback fx2524T:
    2500w,6000w surge,4800w 5 sec, 20w standby, 6w search $1706.

Outback vfx3524:
    3500w, 6000w surge, 5000w 5 sec, 20w standby, 6w search $1850.

Xantrex Xw4024(hybrid):
    4000w, 8000w surge(not sure how long) <8w search $3000. I won't have enough panels for a year to go grid-tie, but it is a planned event. I am not sure if this will work without being hooked to the grid. If it won't then I can't use it now.

Magnum MS4024
    4000w, 5400w 30 second surge, 25w standby, 7w search $2080

Magnum MS4024PAE:
    4000w, 5200w 30 second surge, 27w standby, 6w search, $2160 This is also a 240v inverter.
    Samlex pst150s-24a (for the lighter loads)
    1500w, 3000w(only for 1 second, so isn't usefull) 1w standby $563.

So if these were your choices, which one would you go with for an off grid system that will be going grid tie within 2 years.

Thanks in advance.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Seven wrote: »

So if these were your choices, which one would you go with for an off grid system that will be going grid tie within 2 years.

Thanks in advance.

You've answered your own question. Of the inverters listed, only the Xantrex is capable of GT. Otherwise you'll be swapping out the inverter, scrapping the batteries, changing the panels ... Set up the XW now, and it will be capable of feeding back to the grid later with a minimum of hassle.

Also note that the Exeltech and Samlex inverters do not have built-in chargers.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Xantrex Xw4024(hybrid):
    4000w, 8000w surge(not sure how long) <8w search $3000. I won't have enough panels for a year to go grid-tie, but it is a planned event. I am not sure if this will work without being hooked to the grid. If it won't then I can't use it now.

Surge spec is for 10 seconds. Works fine without grid. Can sell to grid if grid is present. Configuring the sell settings appears to be tricky (I've got no grid, never tired it)
    Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Seven
    Options

So you have that inverter? How has it worked for you?

Edit
    I see your sig showing the 48v 6kw version.
  • Seven
    Options

Coot,
    All of the equipment would still be used but I see your point. Thanks for the response. Better to spend the 3k now than to spend 2k now and 3k later. With knowing it can be used without the grid, the decision is a no brainer. Sometimes I need that "hey dumb a$$" look at what you are typing.
  • mike95490
    Options
    So you have that inverter? How has it worked for you?

Edit
    I see your sig showing the 48v 6kw version.

It works, and I pay no attention to it. Just like utility power should be.
    Maybe I'll open up the chassis and make sure the fan and heat sinks are clear.

The batteries are a different story, add water, keep charged....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• mike95490
    Options

@ Mike
    I noticed that you are running a 48v system for your tied setup, but I also see that you have a 12v charger along with an iota. Are you running more than one setup? Is the 3Kw of panel that you have the minimum for running grid-tied? Are your panels all series to get to the correct voltage? What is the normal voltage that goes to the XW?

As you have probably seen from my posts I am really trying to build my system slowly and I know you are not supposed to do that. I am at the point that I can order my inverter now, available funds, and I just don't want to get something I will regret later. A48v system seems to be the way to go for several reasons, but the cost is so much more for the equipment and batteries.
    My original plan was to dedicate some circuits in the house to dedicated solar and the eventually go grid tie and buy the grid tie inverter. Now my thinking is to buy the hybrid inverter and use it as off grid and later go grid tie with it.
    My issue is this.
    I only have 1200w of panel and it seems that I would need quite a bit more for voltage out as well as available watts to charge the batteries using the hybrid. I am assuming it needs in the 300v range, i will check in a bit, and around 3K plus of panels.
    With all of that, I am back to thinking about doing the original idea to build an off grid setup, get it functional, then buy panels as time and money allow so I can get the inverter later.
    I have a question though. Can I do an offgrid setup, then do a grid tie and somehow tie them together or would I need two seperate systems of panels.

Thanks for your help and info!!!!

I'm not grid tie, but it's possible with the XW inverter series.

The IOTA is a 48V model, for charging from a small genset in case the 2 big ones fail.

The XW only has a 240VAC charger, if you want to charge via PV, you need a PV charge controller (my MS 60A MPPT) . If you have surplus power, the XW can backfeed the grid, regardless of the amount of PV you have. (if you don't use it, sell it)

I have a tool shed with a small 12V system that charges cordless tools and runs the lights in the privy. (white LED holiday string)

I use the 12v charger to charge the battery pack for my CPAP, instad of the wall wart. And the RV, and tractor, and any other 12V battery.

Hope this helps