Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 Remote Meter 2 (RM-2)

Options
Wanderman
Wanderman Solar Expert Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
OK...I have all of my panels hooked up and running through the Morningstar MPPT controller.

I have the optional remote meter 2 connected and displaying properly.

Question: How can I determine what the output in watts of my panels is if the batteries are charged. I see a voltage from Solar...but nothing else. What is the best way to figure out what the panels generate??

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 Remote Meter 2 (RM-2)

You either have to put a load on your system (and/or discharge your battery bank to less than 80% state of charge).

Or disconnect the solar panels and:
    • Put a current meter directly on the panels and measure short circuit current
    • Or, connect the panels directly to the battery bank and put a current meter in series to measure the ~Vmp/Imp current to the battery bank (basically, the overcharging the batteries as a load).
    With a solar charge controller, it will only show either the amount of current the controller "thinks" the batteries need--or the maximum output of the solar array if the batteries are significantly discharged.

Many people, once the battery bank is full (floating), turn on their optional loads (such as water pumping to a tank/garden). This uses otherwise "lost power" and is slightly more efficient (no battery charging/discharging losses).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset