Too == hot

Options
conntaxman
conntaxman Solar Expert Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭✭
I hope that this will help out people soldering Tabbing wires onto solar cells. What i come to find out is that if you get the cell / buss wire too Hot it will come OFF the cell itself, and you will NOT be able to solder it back on. I have watch / read about many people soldering tab wires on and watch many vid' on u tube. Some even mentioned that they use a 65 watt soldering iron. Im using a 30 watt and it's plenty hot enough.
It is much better to buy the cell's with the tab wires on I think. yes I still have alot of cells to solder the tab wires on. LOL.
Trying to use conductive Paint / epoxy to attach the cell buss wire,Don't know , because I didn't try it yet. It might work because it will be encapsulated with a poly resin.
Good luck to all.
Johnny

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Too == hot

as you solder, you are dissolving the thin layer of metal deposited onto the cell, linger too long, or too hot, and you dissolve all the metal, and solder won't stick.

There's way too many ways for things to go bad, hand soldering just a few cells.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

A couple of things many hobbyists might not be aware of:

1). The average soldering iron is not temperature controlled. We had really good ones at Emerson, and they did not cost $5.95. :p An example: http://www.mainelectronics.com/solderstn.htm

2). Lead is dead. 63/37 tin/lead solder that melts at 183C isn't likely what you're working with. Newer, lead-free solders melt at higher temperatures (up to 200C, for instance).

These two things make the carefully controlled temperature soldering necessary for connecting cells very difficult to achieve. Just one more reason why making your own panels tends to be a learning experience rather than a practical application of time, effort, and money. :roll:
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

conductive paste is not very conductive it is not the way to go ,,lots of lost power. also doubt it be ok when subjected to getting hot on a roof,, Atemperature soldering iron is essential.. anything else unless you are the words best:solderer" is going to do more harm than good..
    before you try soldering good cells together get some serious practice on some cells that are broken or damaged and cant be used..
    GOOD SOLDERING IS NOT HARD TO DO BUT IT TAKES ABOUT A YEARS PRACTICE EVERY DAY BEFORE YOU GET PROFICIENT.
    It simply not easy to make good reliable home made solar panels ,and even harder if you dont have good skills at every part of making them

The link to the temp controlled iron as shown by "the old guy" is what you need to use or something very much like it,, not some $6.25 iron from Home Depot or similar
  • conntaxman
    Options

DWH. it looks like you are just trying to advertise.
    John
  • conntaxman
    Options

John p...so what is the temp . to solder onto solar cell buss wires? And what is the wattage of the soldering iron if it dose not have a ver. setting????
    tks
    John
    I have been soldering Quite alot over the Years. both plumbing and ele.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options

Soldering plumbing is, as I sure you know, very different than electrical soldering. And the soldering of sensitive electronics is even more different.

I think I made my first solder joint in 1966. It was ugly. Over the following 20 years my skill improved. Even with crude tools. My point is that, in agreement with john p, it takes practice.

I've never tried to solder solar cells. But I have lifted copper traces from a PCB.

I still have my first Weller 2 temp soldering gun. Also, an 18w Weller "desoldering" iron, with various attachments of dubious efficacy. And other cheap units.

I have never had the luxury of using a temp controlled iron. I have had to rely on my skill and the heat sink properties of WIRES.

Good luck!

K
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    conntaxman wrote: »
    DWH. it looks like you are just trying to advertise.
    John

Hahaha! Advertise what? A 50 cent alligator clip?

I want you to buy a NEW! and IMPROVED! Alligator Clip! Now for the low LOW price of FOUR BITS! Thats right! ONLY FOUR BITS!

Gather 'round folks, and I'll show you how this fabulous new product can SIGNIFICANTLY lower the melting of your insulation while soldering! That's right! SIGNFICANTLY! I know, it's hard to believe, but it's true!

Folks, this product is USED BY NASA! That's right; it's SPACE WORTHY!

Buy now and I'll throw in a second one for only TWO BITS! That's right, TWO of these fantastic, high tech gadgets for only SIX BITS! That's less than four bits EACH!

Ron Popeil eat your heart out.

(Actually, I just did a fast Google and posted the first link. Saves time for me.)
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Contaxman you only jesting saying his aligator clip is advertising?? surely:p
    Sorry have never tried to solder solar cell tabs and hopefully never in my remaining lifetime will I have to do that. Reason .have better things to do than attempt to make solar panels.
    That is why I said if you get some useless cells just practice on them first, try different temps until you get the cell tabbs looking nice and not overheated and destroyed,, my suggestion would be a setting of 320 to 360 deg c