High altitude affects batteries?

2»

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: High altitude affects batteries?
    BB. wrote: »
    From what little I have seen, I would expect, maybe, a 0.1% change in density of water in high elevations...

Lack of heat transfer should be a much bigger deal (and possibly gas bubbles as mention earlier.

-Bill

Could not find info on sulfuric acid but water compressibility is about 3.4x10^-4 %/psi.

Elevation of 3500 feet is about -1.83 psi lower then sea level.

So water would expand in volume by 0.00062 % compared to sea level, temp being equal. Water is not very compressible.

Gravity is a little less at 3500 ft , 0.00019% less.

Maybe the meniscus effect changes as atmospheric pressure is reduced that draws off reading appearence.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Fluid density is effected by both temperature and pressure.

Temperature, yes. Pressure, no, at least not enough to be measurable in most situations.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Katherine wrote: »
    I'm getting so frustrated with responses on some of these forums- I too have noticed a shortening of battery life in high altitude areas, since I've been travellng in Tibet, India and Nepal. While I understand that cold temperatures affect batteries, I'm now in Kathmandu where it's bloody hot, an still I have to charge my phone every single day. Usually I just leave itturned off as sometimes it even dies within 24 hours f being charged. The power went off here about an hour ago and my laptop is about to switch to emergency standby dur to lack of power, wheras usually I get a good 2.5 hours out of it. You can't tell me altitude has no effect!!
    You have to be careful about connecting correlation to causality. You went to a higher altitude, and your batteries don't last as long. That's correlation, no more; it doesn't establish causality. What else changed?