generator output vs inverter size

lotek
lotek Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
I've been planning on using an xw6048, thinking I needed a larger passthrough on my inverter for a larger generator, so my question is: does the excess generator power bypass the inverter, lets say a xw4548? allowing me to run more wattage for a welder or large compressor, or would I need to hook up directly to a generator.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: generator output vs inverter size

if i'm understanding you correctly to be feeding a breaker panel with a generator and an xw inverter, more power will be floated through the buss in the panel. all will be fine as long as the buss rating is not exceeded which is the combined power of both power sources. it may be better going from the generator directly anyway (fused if not done so on the genny) avoiding any voltage drops.
  • lotek
    lotek Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭

XW inverter has ac in connections for the generator, along with the ability to auto start gen. I guess what I meant to say was if the generator is running through the inverter, does the inverter limit how much power the generator can send to the house ac panel box, or does it have a bypass to allow generater power through at full generater output.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Yes the inverter can be set to pull a maximum given setting amount from the generator hooked to AC2 or a different independent setting from the mains on AC1. If mains are present on AC1 it take over, AC2 generator is disconnected. Inverter is running syncronized to one of the sources, therefore only one can be selected.

You also have ability to set the charge limit which must always be a lower setting then max AC1 draw setting from mains. Output load will take priority, reducing the charge amount if it needs to.