New Genny

zozomikezozomike Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
So I bought a Honda EU3000 after all, rejetted it for altitude. More than hard to start without a shot of starting fluid, which I do not like at all. Starts easy after warming up though.
But I really did not buy big enough for any added loads. I am charging through the inverter, and if a load comes on it really bogs the generator down, this cannot be good. 
Wondering if I should purchase a 24 volt charger and charge the battery directly with that ? Then any loads that popped up would be isolated from the generator
Anyone doing this? 
Off grid,
Array 1 1980w -Flex max 80
Array 2 1590 w- flex max 60
Well array 600w with grundfos sqflex11 to tanks, no battery storage there
GB industurial 510 AH battery 24 V
VFX 3525 inverter,

Comments

• mcgivormcgivor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you not limit the charging current to reduce the load on the generator?
      1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider 150 60 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 8×T105 GC 24V nominal 

• BB.BB. Super Moderators Posts: 26,837 admin
    Are you using the choke to start cold? Hondas have a reputation of needing to use the manual coke to start.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zozomikezozomike Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    Yes of course on choke. And no cannot limit just now as my Mate is not working with the inverter. I think I need to replace one of the boards in the Inverter, but tearing it apart with no back up kinda scares me. 
    Thanks 
    Off grid,
    VFX 3525 inverter,
  • EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭
    The boards on my vfx were pretty straightforward to replace.  When I had to replace them though, the inverter didn't work at all.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • zozomikezozomike Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    That's bad news if I understand you. You mean you replaced then it never worked? Or it completely died then you replaced and fixed? 
    Anyway where did you purchase the boards?  
    Off grid,
    VFX 3525 inverter,
  • EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭
    The inverter was completely dead (no LED lights, fan sounds, etc.) when battery power applied. That was why I had to replace the boards. Replacing the boards got it working fine. It sounds like yours is working fine aside from not speaking to the mate.

My boards were replaced under warranty direct from Outback. I found Outback support quite good to deal with. Assuming you've already eliminated cable problems, electrical noise, etc., you might want to contact them.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter