Off Grid solar in Yosemite

Options
SolaRevolution
SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
(My intention is not to criticize but to share.)

I went to Yosemite with my son's 5th grade class last week. Even the sublime sceenery of the Panorama Trail did not keep me from checking out solar installations.

There is a restroom at the top of Nevada Falls which has a small solar installation. There are two privies and a space underneath which could have emergency communication equipment or ?... (I don't know what they are powering with it.)

Check out the code violations in the wiring. To be fair, it was probably installed "properly" at the time of installation. There is a very good chance it was done by volunteers. Judging by the racking, the 55w modules and the braided equipment ground, I would guess it was originally set up +15 years ago. I wish I could have seen the balance of the system.

The more egregious installations are the road side signals with small pole mounted arrays turned directly south, right into a tree, when a East of West face would have much better insolation.:roll:

Attn: NPS. I'll go make all of the necessary corrections pro bono if you will pay for the parts. :cool:

The restroom is at the top of the higher water fall:
Attachment not found.

Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found.

Alex Aragon

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Off Grid solar in Yosemite

i see some of what you're saying. so who's going to inspect it, smokey the bear?

i'm real curious of the purpose of having a pv on the side of the building serves, especially that the ones on top could not handle???????

that is far more pv than needed just for lights (unless incandescents). they didn't electrify the thrown did they?:p
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options

Out of the millions of anual visitors I doubt I am the only one who has noticed.
    I think there are cfl lights in the rooms.

BTW: None of the pictured modules are the same make.

Alex
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

The White Mountain National Forest had several PV restroom setups in NH along a major highway with no power lines (Kancamangus Highway). They were roughly 15 years old and definitely not built to any known recent code. They appeared to work, but over the winter they were all stolen.

Given the budget priorities for the FS and I expect the NPs, stuff like PV is probably installed via a contractor and that is the last maintenance the equipment gets (although someone must change the batteries).