Will Solar Charged Driving Change the World?

RSSfeedRSSfeed Posts: 3,810Registered Users ✭✭
Will Solar Charged Driving Change the World?Sometimes readers of SolarChargedDriving.Com e-mail us with pictures of their own personal solar-charged driving set-ups and, if we can, we try to persuade them to let us run their pictures so that everyone else can see them too. That’s the case with Linda Swyderski, who was inspired to e-mail us based on a blog entry [...]Solar Feeds Related posts:Getting People Excited about Solar Charged...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=dYVcqBNWW5Q:ao1iRZhZ4rw:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=dYVcqBNWW5Q:ao1iRZhZ4rw:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
dYVcqBNWW5Q

More...

Comments

• solar_davesolar_dave Posts: 2,303Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    Re: Will Solar Charged Driving Change the World?

We do it every day! And it changed our world.
  • TravernTravern Posts: 1Registered Users

How are you doing it? Can I see a picture of your vehicle?
    The zcode performance is on https://donkeybets.com/my-zcode-system-review now.
    edited December 2015 #4
    Travern said:

How are you doing it? Can I see a picture of your vehicle?

Picture? Sure, I have spoke of it many times here!

It is quite simple, a good grid-tie setup that gets you to virtually net zero , A vehicle that is charge for 90% of its miles yet has the ability to be driven any distance with the onboard gas generator.  Absolutely the lowest cost driving around with those features. Low mileage used units are in the market for about $15K. Virtually maintenance free for 4 years, one engine oil change due to age not miles, and finally a new set of tires at year 4.

Not giving the site any endorsement but if you want to know everything about a Chevy Volt go to http://gmvolt.com/forum

Like I have said before:
    Drive for free! No OPEC Fee! (or big oil for that matter)
  • XizangXizang Posts: 50Registered Users ✭✭
    If it shows signs of becoming popular, you can bet government will step forward with their hands out, wanting you to pay taxes and fees.  After all, they're missing out on all that gas tax you might otherwise have been paying. 
  • MarkCMarkC Posts: 138Solar Expert ✭✭

It is quite simple, a good grid-tie setup that gets you to virtually net zero , A vehicle that is charge for 90% of its miles yet has the ability to be driven any distance with the onboard gas generator.  Absolutely the lowest cost driving around with those features. Low mileage used units are in the market for about $15K. Virtually maintenance free for 4 years, one engine oil change due to age not miles, and finally a new set of tires at year 4.

Have you modified your GT system to charge when off-grid?  I recently bought a used leaf for $9.5K and am working on some minor mods to use level II charging with my panels so that I can charge the Leaf during extended power outages (or maybe go completely off-grid if panels become cheap enough).  It is only "minor mods" because I already have an off-grid backup system to my GT system, however.

3850 watts - 14 - 275SW SolarWorld Panels, 4000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy Grid tied inverter.  2760 Watts - 8 - 345XL Solar World Panels, 3000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy GT inverter.   3000 watts SMA/SPS power.  PV "switchable" to MidNite Classic 250ks based charging of Golf cart + spare battery array of 8 - 155 AH 12V Trojans with an  APC SMT3000 - 48 volt DC=>120 Volt AC inverter for emergency off-grid.   Also, "PriUPS" backup generator with APC SURT6000/SURT003  => 192 volt DC/240 volt split phase AC inverter.  
  • KenBrownKenBrown Posts: 4Registered Users
    While I've been eyeing a leaf, my own personal transportation is 98% solar powered - we use our off-grid setup to charge my electric bike which takes me just about everywhere I need to go around town :)  With my 1kwh battery pack on the bike, I can go 30 miles no problem, although I rarely do.  When you scoot around town that efficiently and watch 6 passenger trucks being driven around by one person - boggles my mind!  During rush hours, I'm actually getting places faster as well!
  • JohannJohann Posts: 237Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    When it get's to popular, the power companies and the government will force you to have a watt meter on the car so they can charge you for your own generated power or they even charge you by the miles like some states do already.
    MarkC said:

Have you modified your GT system to charge when off-grid?  I recently bought a used leaf for $9.5K and am working on some minor mods to use level II charging with my panels so that I can charge the Leaf during extended power outages (or maybe go completely off-grid if panels become cheap enough).  It is only "minor mods" because I already have an off-grid backup system to my GT system, however.

Charging off grid has it's own issues.  There is a guy occasionally on the gm-volt.com forum (DCFusor) that is totally off grid and he opportunity charges controlled from his solar battery charging system which runs a relay on his ESEV unit.  He also has a web site, http://www.coultersmithing.com.

• kubyenergykubyenergy Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited December 2016 #10
    Definitely this is changing quickly, the solar industry is moving up every day.
    Jake Kubiski
    Kuby Renewable Energy Ltd.
    http://kubyenergy.ca/
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
  • adrian82adrian82 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Soon as Musk got on to showcase solar roofs - it was endgame. Just a matter of time till
    Somewhere in Arizona - 3.5kw / :) 
    solarcareers