ProSine 2.0 inverter question

James
James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
While in idle invertering mode, is it normal for a cont. fluctuating load of 4,5,6-6,4,5-5,6.4...etc, amps draw on the batteries?
i thought the idle amp load was supposed to be much less, maybe aprox. 1 amp or less....am i not waiting long enough to withness the idle down draw to "kick in" to the lower level?
i shoud note that this unit is not used as a full time inverter, just a stand by unit grid powered, for backup purposes.
i do have a killawatt unit in line which shows no watts being consumed on the inverter output end during the "idle" time.
thanks for your replys

Comments

• john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Re: ProSine 2.0 inverter question

i shoud note that this unit is not used as a full time inverter, just a stand by unit grid powered, for backup purposes.How can it be drawing power from batteries if it is powered by the grid???If it is connected to battery/ies it should be drawing about 1 to 1.5 ampsat the most when idle.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

It sounds like it is setup as its Inverter/Charger mode--and what you are seeing is the charging current from the wall outlet to the battery bank--eventually the charger should go into "float mode" (if you have the inverter wired to 120 VAC and use the internal transfer switch to power your loads in the event of a power failure).

Have you measured your battery bank voltage yet (over ~13 volts, charging. Less than ~12.8 volts, discharging).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • James

The grid is connected in order to charge the batteries on float for standby use when grid fails.
    What i am talking about here is when i shut down the grid feed breaker to the unit, and the prosine switches to inverter mode...(there is no grid power coming in at that point)...it is just in what i beleive we call idle or sleep mode...it is then powered by the battery bank, pulling amps to idle the inverter, ready to provide 120 vac when a load is turned on.
    as a load is turned on, the inverter works fine.

when the load is disconnected (off) the inverter goes back to idle.

how much time should it take to reduce down to the idle current consumption from the battery bank, and about what should it be pulling at idle? (Without grid connected)

Sorry if i wasn't clear on this.
  • James

Added note,
    The charger portion is working correctly when ac grid is applied. Charge sequence working good.
    Battery voltage is fine and carrys a load just fine while inverting.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I would guess that the DC input should follow the AC output loads within a few cycles (1/60 Hz = 16.67 milliseconds).

There is no place for the Current/Power to go if the Load is off and the Inverter is idling. You will see 25 watts (fan plus idle current) with no loads.

Just out of curiosity--how are you measuring the current?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • trkarl
    trkarl Solar Expert Posts: 33

I have one and it does the same thing. I assume you are looking at the control panel when you see this? Mine isn't accurate. When in invert mode and it is idling it will show +3 or +4 amps which means it is charging the battery even though it is not.

As it pulses the reading will fluctuate but always showing a positive number which is not possible since it is inverting.

When my chest freezer is being powered by the unit it will show a draw of 3 or 4 amps but I put a clamp on amp meter on the battery cable and it shows a draw of 9 or 10 amps which is about what I expect. The control panel is just not accurate.
  • James

Thanks trkarl, yes, I am looking at to control panel on the prosine. I didn't know there was some variation in it's readings...that certainly explains some of it. I suppose i could disconnect the prosine shunt meter leads and connect the shunt meter leads to a discrete analog meter to see exactly how many amps are being pulled from the batteries.

I'm just trying to find and accurate reading of how many watts are being consumed in inverter mode while at at idle or sleep, before a load is applied.