Best place to install Delta DC lightning arrestor

solarfox
solarfox Registered Users Posts: 5
What is the best place to install my LA302DC lightning arrestor? I have a combiner box inside my workshop building that feeds into my charge controller. Should I install it on the combiner box or the charge controller?

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Re: Best place to install Delta DC lightning arrestor

Doesn't it say where to put it ? I'd place it before the charge controller.

I'm assuming you're protecting solar panels, right ?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that might depend on the location of the ground rod. if there is a ground connection going directly to a ground rod from the combiner then that's the best place otherwise it would send a pulse along the ground wire and induce that pulse into the other wires that parallel it. i would say in most cases at the controller is best, but circumstances can vary.
  • DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27

Would you put the lighting arrestor between the panels and the combiner box ?
    That way you would protect the combiner box . The panels should be grounded .Right!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    DeltaFox wrote: »
    Would you put the lighting arrestor between the panels and the combiner box ?
    That way you would protect the combiner box . The panels should be grounded .Right!

yes pvs should be grounded and you could actually put the arrestor there too, but the length of wire going to the controller could pick up the emp pulse and still cause damage. going one step further you could put them in both locations if you would like. understand that the combiner or the pvs do not need protected from emp so much, but the electronics (cc, inverters, etc.) do need protected. it's a catch 22 in a way because only putting it outside can leave the wires to the cc and other electronics free to pick up the emp. on the other hand, putting it inside can be bad too as one should avoid allowing this kind of electrical energy to enter the house if at all possible. it does get sticky as to where is best to mount one arrestor as circumstances do vary.
    a good compromise may in fact be your combiner. if the combiner is outside it is much easier as you can easily run a ground wire down to the ground rod and this is inline with protection before entering the building. most go with the protection near the cc as you know there's a good ground wire nearby or at least there is supposed to be. near the cc is also is something inspectors can readily see without climbing somewhere. there's no guarantee that even a thousand arrestors will stop damage from occurring, but they do increase your odds.
    i don't know all of the particulars of your installation like distances and locations of wires, components, and ground leads, etc. to say for sure what is best electrically for you to mount 1 arrestor, but for inspections they want them inside near the cc for ease of view.
    note that in a direct lightning strike that these arrestors, as they call them, most likely will explode and the lightning will still do and go wherever it wants to, but the induced pulses or emp may be better handled by these so called arrestors. no they aren't named well as they are pulse suppressors.
  • DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27

you could have your combiner box with a fuse inside it then have this outside with a ground . or have a combiner box outside then when a wire comes inside have a fuse box to handel it first and have that grounded.