First time installing panels

Hi everyone, this will be my first time installing solar panels myself and I am curious if there is anything I should know regarding safety. I will be running 3 strings to a combiner box, turning the breakers off and installing the rest of the system as parts arrive.
I assume no harm will be done if they are left in the sun with wires disconnected from any connections.

Please let me know if you have any insight, helpful information.

Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: First time installing panels

Solar panels may be left in the sun disconnected or even with the wires shorted together...

The bigger issue is your safety (shocked, standing on a metal ladder, vs ground...). And try to avoid making any connections when the sun is up and there is a load on the system (i.e., you are making final connection from panel to charge controller).

You probably have a distribution breaker--have that turned off so you don't "arc" the connectors as you are making up your final connections (can damage the connectors so that the fail during use).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: First time installing panels

Covering panels with moving quilts or blankets is a pretty easy way to cover panels to prevent accidental stuff.

Tony