Connecting USE-2 Wire to PV Module

Hello, I have the older photowatt pw-750 80 watt pv modules. I just purchased USE-2 outdoor wire #10. My panels do not have MC connectors. They are the older screw-in style. My question is should I connect the wire directly to the module (just strip the wire end) or should I put some type of lug on the wire and then plug that lug into the module? :roll:

Thanks Before Hand,
Adiel

Comments

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Connecting USE-2 Wire to PV Module

How would you plug something into the module? Ultimately you have to screw the wire into the terminal.

If you wanted to be able to easily install and reinstall the module you could crimp on MC connectors, but that's not necessary and the crimping tool is very expensive.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

All my panels are the older style that just have J box connections. I have each panel wired together with the rest with Anderson polarized connectors (available from NAWS) That way I can service each panel without taking the whole set off line if need be. I also move two of the panels twice a year to take advantage of better sun.

As for the crimping tool for larger lugs. There is a hammer activated crimping tool that works great for wire sizes up to about #0. Once again I think NAWS sells them perhaps $30. If not try www.hardwaresales.net They don't really sell over the net, but they will do phone orders. (They are the worlds best hardware store,,,bar none!) I have the crimper and it is the most useful tool I have in my electrical box! Crimps Anderson connector lugs as well.

Icarus
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks, do you know which Anderson part # it would be for #10 awg. I am only finding ones for 12-16 awg.

Adiel
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

It looks like it holds fine without using the optional connectors. What do you guys think? :roll: