Planning grid tie

Hi. I am new to the forum. Haven't figured out the direct way to initiate a message, so am replying to one of yours.

I am looking to install a grid-tied PV system to my home. Plan to have about 1.8 Kw in collective panel output.

It has been suggested to me that this size of an array is too small to accommodate the minimum input voltage reqmnts of many inverters. It has also been suggested that I consider an inverter that is equipped with battery back-up.

As is no doubt apparent, I am just getting introduced to the technical aspects of PV. Opinions/suggestions from the discussion group would be welcomed. Suggestions on good resources would also be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: New to forum
    mooreb wrote: »
    Hi. I am new to the forum. Haven't figured out the direct way to initiate a message, so am replying to one of yours.

I am looking to install a grid-tied PV system to my home. Plan to have about 1.8 Kw in collective panel output.

It has been suggested to me that this size of an array is too small to accommodate the minimum input voltage reqmnts of many inverters. It has also been suggested that I consider an inverter that is equipped with battery back-up.

As is no doubt apparent, I am just getting introduced to the technical aspects of PV. Opinions/suggestions from the discussion group would be welcomed. Suggestions on good resources would also be much appreciated. Thanks!

Grid Tie is really the way to start off. No batteries to mess with.
    Xantrex site has a great tool to
    http://www.xantrex.com/support/gtsizing/index.asp
    calculate an array, and the GT series covers a pretty wide range of input voltage. I'm not sure how a 1.8 KW array COULD be too small.

I just quickly tried a few #'s in it, 8, 100 W, 24V modules, will work (800W) and going to the upper end, 2 parallel strings of 9 panels 1,800 Watts - still works
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New to forum

"Hi. I am new to the forum. Haven't figured out the direct way to initiate a message, so am replying to one of yours."

now i would send you a pm, but you may not know how to do that so i'm answering you right here. you may have noticed that there's a clickable notation or link saying post reply that is at the top left and bottom left of the thread. now before you clicked on this particular thread there was a similar link saying new thread in the same locations as you will find the post reply link at. clicking on that will allow you to post your own thread with a topic and please try to observe where it is you are placing it into that it may be fitting for the general catagory you are putting it into.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: New to the site and solar power

Niel,

Can you as a mod split the posting to a new thread? I can on my forum ..

SG
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Planning grid tie

your wish is my command, but don't rub me ok? i know, bad humor.:cry::roll:
    to add, i never tried it before now, but it is done.
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Re: Planning grid tie

Regarding batteries, the big issues are a huge increase in cost, and a big drop in efficiency of the system as a whole. I happen to be off grid, so I am totally battery based, but as many here will point out, there are a lot of losses along the way when you start charging and discharging batteries. So....
    Depending on what you are looking for, ie what your needs are, you might want to look very carefully at weather or not having batteries in the system would work out for you or not. Me personally, I would still want to at least have a 1-2 day battery back up system if I could afford it; where we live has frequent power outages, so this is kind of a nice thing to have. On the other hand, it can work out to be cheaper, and probably simpler to just get a small generator if your power needs are small and/or outages short and infrequent...
    There's a lot to look into, probably the best thing to look at (and you probably already have) is exactly what your power needs are. Look at what you normally use, but also look at what you absolutely need (ie refrigeration, heating if you live with cold winter or night time temps, etc). Can you live without the TV for an evening, forego the blender for the afternoon, save that welding project for another weekend... you get the idea.
    A friend of mine has a nice set up: grid tied, and then a seperate small modified sine wave inverter (much cheaper) connected to a small battery bank. The idea is just have enough power to be able to keep the lights and the computers on in his office durring the common but short power outages in his area. It all really depends on what your situation needs, as to what makes the most sense...

BTW...You will probably get more help here by being as specific as you possibly can; no offense, but your post is pretty hazy on any real details... so fill in a few more blanks, and ask away...
    Good luck