float switch not working

gregapex
gregapex Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭

I have a float switch.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXFPPMM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.  I am running it 260’ to my well pump with 18/3 sensor wire.  It's not turning off the pump when tank is full.  What am I doing wrong and/or what device do I need to install to increase the voltage over that distance, if that is in fact the problem.

thank you

Comments

• Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    According to Amazon this is a 4 to 20 mA device, meaning that it changes it's resistance to adjust current flow to signal to compatible 4 to 20 mA equipment (i.e. it would work something like allowing 4mA when empty and 20 mA when full or vice versa).  You may have it hooked up as a simple float switch (ie zero resistance closed to infinite resistance open) which may explain why it's not working.

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500