Starlink satellite system power questions

nkin
nkin Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
Greetings All,

I’ve seen some discussion of Starlink, which seems maybe a good option for off gridders.  Don’t find mention of wattage.

Does anyone have good figures on how many watts the dish/router system draws (with TV not included)?
Does the snow-melt system turn on and off automatically according to snowfall?
Is the heater “on” steadily during snow or does it cycle on/off only as snow requires?
How many watts does the snow heater draw when actually “on”?

Thank you.

Norm

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 #2
    Norm, with the new style rectangular dish the wattage is < 80 watts. I believe its slightly less than the Hughes G5 it replaced but I can't find my Kill-a-watt.  The 'heater' is actually a boost in power to the circuitry in the dish which generates enough heat to keep it clear and can draw 150+ watts. It cycles by outside temperature only which could draw the higher power just because its cold with no snow, etc. I toggled the heater permanently off and will only turn it on in the future if we have the potential for freezing weather AND moisture. We actually had a net gain as we could disconnect the cell booster and I can carry the cell outside.

We love it and its use is especially valuable for Wifi calls - the first reliable cell connection we've had in 12 years and its HD quality audio (and video if desired). Zero latency in data calls that you tell. We love it. And even with the price increase it's monthly service is still less than Hughes with no quota. We can finally stream video if we can find something that's worth watching.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    I came up with 50 watts for Starlink when I asked users on the Reddit Starlink forum. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    I came up with 50 watts for Starlink when I asked users on the Reddit Starlink forum. 
    Gee, that's not much. Why can't their beam down the power for the dish too? :-)
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    A Pro v Con website has some interesting StarLink articles:

https://www.starlink.com/rv
    https://provscons.com/starlink-for-rv-camping/ (what is RV Starlink's + and -)

On average, the first generation round Dish consumes 130W to 140W power. Moreover, the Dish will activate its heating feature during rain and snow. It will spike the power usage to up to 180W.

The second-generation (rectangular) Dish is efficient, however. It consumes less power and will not drain your RV battery like the first generation.

The rectangular Dish typically consumes 45W to 50W power. During rain and snow, the power consumption may rise to 90W due to the heating feature activated by the Starlink Dish.

https://provscons.com/starlink-installation-and-maintenance/

Basically, there is an "RV/camping Flavor" of Starlink account. Not cheap (bit more than residential), but account can be started/stopped as needed. No wait lists. Don't use in motion (violates warranty, may kill your account, slower speeds and can throttle speed if/when needed, power hog vs cell phone data hardware). Of course will need open sky access--Will probably not work under trees/etc...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset