Harbor Freight Panel Upgrade

JRHill
JRHill Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
I have a neighbor that has a single HF system. He doesn't ever seem to have money to spend on important things like generating solar power but spends plenty on generator fuel. I know that the HF panels are junk and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a single substitute panel for the original equipment for his stuff within the range of input V & A? I'm hoping that if I can get him to see the folly me may spring for a few more panels and a real charge controller.
Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 #2
    Lot of options, but I'd suggest replacing the charge controller too...

I think the 'Thunderbolt' old solar panel system was 45 watts, 3-15 watt panels and the newer system is 4 - 25 watt panels. Both amophous panels with maybe half the efficency of regular poly or mono panels.

Right now Home depot has a deal on a 110 watt solar panel with a 11 amp charge controller for $84 + tax.

NATURE POWER 110-Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel with 11 Amp Charge Controller 53000 (homedepot.com)

You should be able to put another 100 watt panel on an 11 amp charge controller, not sure you will find a better deal shipped though! I think the Amazon deals were around $80 for a 100 watt panel last I looked. Though you may find a better deal on a Renogy 30 or 40 watt PWM controller and a couple panels that might allow for expansion.

Look at his overall system. If he has some mostly dead marine batteries, or low capacity AGM (often sold with these at Harbor Freight), his system might need more help.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that tip. As often was I've been through the HD in town I've not seen that on display. Maybe a ship to store thing? For batteries he has a few of my old L16s from after I went with the PHIs.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.