basic grid tie cost revealed

Options
WebPower
WebPower Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
I finally achieved a negative month and now know the basic cost for Dominion Power in northern Virginia

$6.58 Distribution service + $0.56 county tax = $7.14 monthly grid tie base cost.

I think that's reasonable to use the Grid as my battery.

I'm now at about -260 on the meter. March and April appear to be best for net power usage with no leaves on the trees yet.
9000+W grid tied IQ7 22 panel rooftop and 6 panel ground combination with 1 additional IQ7 connected to 500W wind turbine+200w solar+2 IQ7s with 300W+600W on the RV grid tied when it's in the driveway.

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Selling to grid from batteries is usually a losing proposition when you figure in replacement cost of batteries.  It puts a lot of continuous 120 Hz ripple current stress on batteries even if PV is supplying the net pushed power.

Best way to supply grid sell power is with GT inverters that does not go through batteries.

This is the difference between DC coupling and AC coupling method of injecting PV derived power.
  • WebPower
    WebPower Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited May 2022 #3
    Options
    We'll have to see how this all plays out. Still going negative. Meter reading is less than last months reading. Will be interesting to see what happens when I start using more than I generate, where their zero point is. Meter is now 12990. Last bill they had it at 13726.

9000+W grid tied IQ7 22 panel rooftop and 6 panel ground combination with 1 additional IQ7 connected to 500W wind turbine+200w solar+2 IQ7s with 300W+600W on the RV grid tied when it's in the driveway.