how do i determine the number of coil winding/size in a axial flux generator ?

Keji
Keji Registered Users Posts: 3
i am building a axial flux wind turbine, watched a few yt video and read some articles. i have built a small one, now want to move onto a bigger one.
but i couldn't find any information on how to calculate the size of coils for the required power output.
example i want to make a  48v 10kw generator, how would i calculate, how many turns is required, the wire thickness, how many coils per phase. 
can someone please explaining the process in determining all this 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Perhaps one or more of these links can help (we are not a bit DIY wind forum):

www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines (from Chris Olson... From his 4/11/2013 post)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10KW is a pretty large machine, but maybe you are not expecting 10kw worth of wind?   When you do get the wind, you will need a huge dump load for that.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Keji
    Keji Registered Users Posts: 3
    BB. said:
    Perhaps one or more of these links can help (we are not a bit DIY wind forum):

www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines (from Chris Olson... From his 4/11/2013 post)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

-Bill
    Hi bill thanks for the references, 
    i had a look at them they all seem good, otherwind.com being the best but i cannot register as it would not allow me to register, would you have any idea about that, thanks 

mike95490 said:
    10KW is a pretty large machine, but maybe you are not expecting 10kw worth of wind?   When you do get the wind, you will need a huge dump load for that.
    hi
    the 10kw was used as a example (but i am heading in that direction) as i want to do the calculations for myself, every article i came across just gives me the number of turns for a 48/12v system and the wire size to use, with no explanation. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I have never used/communicated with the Otherpower forum... Just try the registration link/process. Sometimes, it may take a day or two for some forums if they require a moderator to approve the application:

https://www.fieldlines.com/?action=register

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset