Connecting a micro grid tie inverter to load terminals of charge controller

gw60
gw60 Registered Users Posts: 3
Perhaps some one has answered this question before, couldn't find anything regarding this in the search. I am running roughly 800 watts to a  24v renogy pg 40 amp CC and my batteries are always at 100% by noon. Will it hurt the charge controller if I connect a solinba 24v grid-tie 500 watt micro-inverter to the load terminals?
I would rather use the energy rather than let it dissipate however not at the cost to my system. I plan to pull more load through the off grid inverter eventually however, just wanted to know if the grid tie is a temporary option. Thanks. 

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not familiar with the microinverter.  Generally, they're designed to attach directly to pv.

The way diversion/opportunity loads larger than a couple of small lights etc are generally done is with the load terminal output triggering a relay, which controls current from battery to inverter or other larger loads.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >  Will it hurt the charge controller if I connect a solinba 24v grid-tie 500 watt micro-inverter to the load terminals?

1) Likely, yes, it will cook the transistor in the load circuit.  500w @ 24V is about 20A thru the charge controller.

2) More importantly, is the 24v inverter is designed to run directly off PV  ?   Connecting it to a battery could fry it.  Or maybe you have a battery based GT inverter and it will be fine.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019 #4
     If you, or someone else, is home during mid day/afternoon hours. You can try making use of opportunity loads. Vacuuming, laundry, workshop projects, etc. Do you have a separate off grid system and grid power? This could complicate things as to powering these loads from the off grid set up will require getting off grid power to them.
     Bear in mind, the cost of replacing batteries will be higher than the value of the power you will produce with an off grid system.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• gw60
    gw60 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks to all for the advice. I took the suggestions and rather than connecting the GT inverter to CC, I decided to reconfigure the solar panel connections to split 400 watts for the off grid system (independent) and 400 watts directly to GT inverter on a seperate circuit. both systems are working great. Off grid batteries are charged up by 5pm.