Remote start Inverter Gen

freddieoliveras
freddieoliveras Registered Users Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hi; I’m looking for a Inverter Generator that can be started from Outback Flexmax 80 CC AUX Output. 
Any recommendation?

Comments

• PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I ran into a gent on another board that was building an Arduino based auto start controller for the  Honda EU2000&.EU3000 generators. 

IIRC: he was over on Skoolie.net
  • freddieoliveras
    Is unbelievable, 2019, no generator company build a generator ready for offgrid systems, plug and play, a simple DC signal to start and stop the generator.

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    They they are out there, but not at harbor freight or at a big box store. That is not the usual use of a big box store generator 
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    for the outback
    What do I need?• MATE and MATE manual• FX and FX Manual
    http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/appnotes/advanced_generator_start.pdf

• t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    read the pdf in the link...it will tell you more of what you need

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is unbelievable, 2019, no generator company build a generator ready for offgrid systems, plug and play, a simple DC signal to start and stop the generator.

You need to use the Outback gen module. Starting from the AUX is a lame way to do this.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• freddieoliveras
    Thx for replying guys, 
    Actually is not how to connect the aux output, is about the other side (generator), can you recommend me or do you know of any autostart generator (around 3000watts) that could be started with the aux output 12vdc of the Flexmax? 
    For a few generator out there theres you could buy a module that receive the signal from the flexmax and send it to the gen, but you have to do a lot of wiring inside the generator, also need an auto chock if the gen is cold it wont run. 

I found this one:
    https://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/

also there are Generac Gen but are too expensive and overkill.
  • freddieoliveras
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Portable generators by definition are intended to be for portable use, hense lack of auto start, they also have receptacles for connection, rationale behind this is that portable units have internal neutral bonding to ground, if wired into a service, or inverter feeding a service, that would create two bonding points, which is not acceptable. The receptacle is intended for the final load, the manufacturer has to protect themselves from liability.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    There are remote start mods available for Honda Eu3000 series gennies.  Mostly it it a auto choke function tied to the start switch.  I know it can be used on the Kipor clone of similar size.  They also wire to the low oil shut down system as well for engine protection.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    One former member here really liked the Honda EM4000SX genset... I don't know the Honda line and things change over the years--But the "SX" version (there is an "S" version too) has an ECM (engine control module) that directly controlled the mixture (basically an automatic choke for cold weather operations).

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200585440_200585440

https://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/13928.pdf (manual, page 19 ECM info)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • freddieoliveras
    Thx
  • freddieoliveras
    PG4000iSR with electric start, I will just need to use a relay, connected to the start. Hopefully an easy task.

I’ll let you know what happen
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    While it is possible to create an auto start using a relay, it may need some additional protective circuitry to prevent unwanted conditions.
    Most auto start systems limit the duration of each start attempt as well as number of attempts, have warm up delay, cool down cycle, over/under speed protection, low oil cutout etcetera.

While some may not be absolutely nessersary, it's best to include as many safeguards as possible, the auto start may work whilst in attendance, it's the time when nobody is there that things tend to go wrong.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • freddieoliveras
    Update:
    Pulsar 4000W Inverter Generator (turn on with pushbutton)
    Koyo PLC AutomationDirect $50 on eBay
    12vdc Relay

Open the Generator and find the back side of the pushbutton. Connect 2 wire (new starting signal) in parallel with the start pushbutton.

The AUX 12VDC from the FlexMax CC80 is connected as PLC Input, PLC Output activate the relay and the relay turn ON the Generator (via the 2-wire). Small logic (4 rungs) in the PLC. Turn ON the AGS in the MATE.

is working !!!

• PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Any mechanism to turn it off? 
  • freddieoliveras
    Actually no, The Pulsar 4000W Inverter Generator comes with start with pushbutton.
    To turn it off the AUX signal from the CC80 turn off the PLC see that and send the signal to the relay to turn it off.