Magnum 2024 question

icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
i just built an 1 kw off grid system for a friends camp.  I notice that you can configure the inverter to not accept line voltage from the grid (which we don’t have) or a genny at any predescribe time, ostensibly to buy power from the grid to charge you bank when it is cheap.  What I am wondering is there a programming function that I don’t see for a much more important function: that is turn off the inverter automatically from X o’clock to Y o’clock.  The problem they are going to have is the A/C is distributed to a dozen buildings 1000’ apart and finding the phantom load or light bulb that is left on all night is problematic.  I know I can set the search watts function as high as I wish but that doesn’t solve the problem.  Any Magnum users out there who have an answer I may have overlooked in the manual?
Thanks. Tony

Comments

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019 #2
    Tony,

I am using a MS4024 AE  a split phase 120/240 volt variant of what you have there. As far as I know....no time setting on these, also I beleive that this unit is off grid only unless MagnaSine has introduced a "hybird" variant.....I have just installed a MS2024 for a freind and no significant change in software that I noticed.  No time clock function, and I can't think of a decent way to do that......EDIT. solution found......read on.....There is a remote port on the inverter, actually two different ones.....one accepts the ME-ARC50 remote controller....pricey at 215$$$ .....the other  remote port accepts a toggle switch to turn on turn off the inverter. ....this is a low current port using phone wire to a common s.p.s.t. switch.....I've used that to 25 feet or so to turn off mine...........but my MagnaSine is quite a bit older now.  The AE model is the forerunner to the current PAE model........hey it just occurred to me.....CRS kicking in.......use a low voltage timer powered by the battery to switch this port........I switch between CRS and DEWRS.............don't even wanna remember shit!...lol
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019 #3
    Thanks Dave,

Magnum seems to be marking these inverters a ahybrid, not a true grid tie.  A wayfor you have battery based PV, and intertwine tothe grid, not back feed the grid.  Seems a bit silly to me.  I do have the remote, and you can use it 50+ feet way, but because I am feeding so many scattered small buildings that is no solution.  I could simply have “a person in charge” shut it down at night, but that is fraught with terror. A batteryvoltage timer could work...I’ll have to think about that.

Tony

PS I found a 24 vdc timer for a few bucks on Amazon.  Please explain to me which port, and how to wire.  I already have the remote in one port.

T

Second edit, Magmum sells a remote switch pigtail!  Now i need to figure out which port to plug it into!  Now I got it all...the Magnum RSA instructions show which port to plug it into...problem solved for under $50.  Thanks again!

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Icarus, 

exactly.......the green  port for the ARC-50 remote, battery monitor and AGS  and other accessories is digital............... the blue  port is analog remote control switch
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,