Trina Solar TSM-280 Series wiring question

latinhawk
latinhawk Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
I need 3 panels in series. However, the specs say Max Series Fuse 15a. My 3 panels together would be more than that. Should I use the fuses/breaker before combining or can I ignore that and use a 32a breaker after joining the string. Please see the picture of the panel babel attached.
Tagged:

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When modules.are in series the voltage increases but the current remains the same, so use the recommended fuse or circuit breaker, 15A in this case.. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • latinhawk
    latinhawk Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019 #4
    If you just have one or two strings, you don't really need OCP (fuse/breaker) on each string at all.  String breakers can be handy for troubleshooting though.  With three or more strings (or panels connected in parallel), OCP is needed to prevent a short in one string/panel from being fed the combined current from the remaining 2+ strings.  The 15a max OCP size is to protect panel wiring in this event.

You didn't mention whether the three panels are being connected as a series string (in which case @mcgivor is correct that current is the same as a single panel), or in parallel (in which case OCP is needed on each).  Depending on the application, one way or the other of wiring could be best.

Edit... missed the ref to series in your post :blush:

Where/if the strings are paralleled, current adds, so OCP should be added on the parallel to combiner circuit and sized to protect the chosen wire size on that circuit.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter