Green horn with Xantrex 5548/generator questions. Help, please...

showme
showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I'm looking at back up generators right now, and have found a few full house and commercial/industrial models that I believe are good possibilities. I've searched for gensets that include the transfer switch, wanting to avoid adding the price of a new one and getting one that is already compatible with the generator. The other day it dawned on me that every diagram that I see for hypothetical scenarios have nothing noted about transfer switches. Do the SW5548's need a transfer switch, or does the inverter handle that job as well?

I'm looking at a genset that was used solely as a backup for a communications tower, and was only cranked up for weekly test runs and maintenance checks. (11kw Generac Olympia, LP and a Generac "residential back up" type. The Olympia has been well maintained, and comes in the shed it's been in since the beginning of it's career, along with the transfer switch and a 500 gallon tank. So, do I need the switch or not?

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You should search for the manual on-line.  The SW5548 does have a 120VAC transfer switch but that will be the weak link in the old SW that has been obsolete a long time. Very few spare parts now. People who repair them cannibalize used units so you have to keep that in mind. Good Luck
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• showme
    showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭
    I have the manual, and the two I'm getting (the old one will be back up unit) are NIB, NOS. What I need to know is- do I need to buy a backup genset with a transfer switch, or no? Per the obsolete SW's, you may not know that there are plenty of them still running strong after all these years. And mine will be straight out of the box, "obsolete" or not. Now... anybody else have an answer to the question?

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used them since the late 80's when they were Trace. If you have the manual you would know that there is a transfer switch built-in, as I said above. ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net