Capacity capped by Micro-inverter

Options
MikeBloom
MikeBloom Registered Users Posts: 3
If I pair an Enphase IQ 6+ MICRO (290 VA) with an LG320N1C-G4 is the capacity of the Enphase going to limit my peak generation capacity.

In other words, does it make sense to install a panel with production capacity higher than 290W when paired with this micro inverter?

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    In general, a cost effective match is an mppt controller (gt inverter or charge controller) that is at least 77% of the panel's rated wattage (standard test conditions are higher output vs real operation under full sun on a warm day). You will not lose much power.

In practice, you need to check the web site / manual for the micro inverter. They have certain requirements (wattage/voltage ratings of the solar panel) to keep their UL/NRTL Listing.

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes (but rarely, so don't worry) and yes.  Enphase suggests 235W to 400 W panels.   IMO, a panel around 360W is typically ideal and even a little higher panel output than you selected would be optimal.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development