What to do with very large and old fridge...

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
So I bought a '93 Box Truck that was pretty well loaded with stuff. The sellers are downsizing their business.

Inside the 14' box was a 25 cubic foot Maytag fridge. It uses about 250 watts when running. Start up surge around 1200 watts. Was told it works perfectly. Guessing that it is approx. 20 years old. Close to top of the line at that time.

Unloading it was pretty dangerous. Now I'd like to find a good use for it. Under normal conditions, it uses too much electricity for most solar folks. Too big and old to be worth selling.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Food would last much longer than room temp storage if the fridge only ran during daylight hours. It would run like hell during daylight hours...
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I cannot think of anything--Other than putting a 40 watt light inside it and use to store arc welding rods (keep the flux dry).

Otherwise donate to a local charity (if they can even accept non-commercial units).

The idea of running during the day and off at night for storing fresh food... I worry about dehydrating stuff (cold evaporator condenses/freezes water, dries out the goods; then at night, the coils sweat and get the inside sweating).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a planter out of it.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Imagine my surprise when I found that it is shockingly good for....storing food. Almost as if designed for that purpose. Plus is makes it harder to steal my ATV and wood splitter. 25 cubic foot fridges are not easy to move.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    ......Plus is makes it harder to steal my ATV and wood splitter. 25 cubic foot fridges are not easy to move.
    You store the gear in the fridge ????
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Fill it with liquor or wine or what ever your favorite poison is.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a food smoker 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    oil pan 4 said:
    Fill it with liquor or wine or what ever your favorite poison is.
    Chocolate....helps me with occasional winter blues. May be poisonous to dogs. Pretty light drinker myself.
  • Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Turn it into a pre-insulated, weatherproof battery box.
  • softdown
    ^^Great idea really. One could even keep the batteries cool during summer days. I turned a big old chest freezer into a UPS/FedEx deposit box....complete with a ramp. Fewer worries about theft...priceless.

Appliances seem to quit working after lengthy outdoor storage...