UV through snow cover?

Jeepj667
Jeepj667 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hey. We are getting a quote from Vivent solar to do a grid tied system and I have a question. I'm in Utah and asked about snow cover on the panel's. The guy said UV will go through the snow and get the panel's running enough to heat them up and melt the snow so it slides off. Is this true?
Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeepj667 said:
    I'm in Utah and asked about snow cover on the panel's. The guy said UV will go through the snow and get the panel's running enough to heat them up and melt the snow so it slides off. Is this true?
    It's not true in Vermont.... maybe Utah is different.   Once there are some bare patches on the panel, the sun heats up that bare patch and the patch gets larger until the whole panel is clear.   If the weather is cold, the panels can remained covered with snow for many sunny days.

Black framed panels are popular here... the snow/ice melts off a bit sooner. 

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on the panel and mounting angle.   A little sun gets though and heats up the panel and the snow/ice slides off.  Unless there is a pile of snow from yesterday in the way,  Or the panel is too flat to allow the snow to slide,  Or the textured glass helps the snow stick to the panel.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rmcewen
    rmcewen Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited April 2016 #4
    I also live in Utah and have six panels at a 45 degree angle.  At that angle the snow slides off if there's any sun at all.

I've never had any issue with snow on the panels causing loss of charge.  If there's enough sun to provide a reasonable amount of charge the snow will slide off.  I have had problems with multiple cloudy days.  My system is designed to run for three days with no sun.  Then I have to use the generator to recharge because I'm off-grid.  This is usually required only once or twice each winter.