XW6048 Possible to Control Remotely?

sub3marathonman
sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
I've started to wonder if it is possible to remotely or automatically control an older model (2009 or so) XW6048 with the correspondingly old Soar Charge Controller.

What I'd like to do is vary the allowed sell amperage, based on the SOC of the batteries, such that if the SOC gets high I'd increase, if it goes lower I'd decrease, and at some SOC or time-based point I'd reduce the sell to 0 amps. I understand I could set up a dump load but I'd rather use the electricity in sell mode as I'm grid connected.

I'm wondering if this is possible with their new fancy controller, although I'd much rather keep my old one going.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What is "Soar" charge controller? The XW+ does have more grid features than the XW but you should be able to do what you want. What is it doing now?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• sub3marathonman
    What is "Soar" charge controller?

GRRRRR, must remember to wake up in the morning!! I meant to say it has the system control panel: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/accessories/system-control-panel/scp_owners_guide(975-0083-01-01_rev-d).pdf

I don't know if there have been revisions to it, but mine is from 2009 or so, and I will say that it seems to have held up spectacularly, considering how many times I'm pressing buttons on it. (Going to knock on wood now)

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There are updates for the XW used as grid-tie from 2009. They did widen the generator voltages and frequency requirements. You probably should buy the combox. What is the system doing now?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• sub3marathonman
    What is the system doing now?

Everything is really working exactly as designed, and thank you Dave for the help.

However, I'd like to be able to set a selling amount at a certain voltage, for example 8 amps at 52.5 volts. If the voltage goes up to 52.7 volts, I'd like to increase the selling amps to for example 10, until the voltage goes back to 52.5. If the voltage continues to go up, I'd like to keep increasing the selling amps until the voltage stops rising and returns to for example 52.5 volts. The same procedure if voltage is going down, except of course I'd like to reduce the sell amps. I figured out now when I'm awake that it will of course go to 0 selling amps when the voltage falls to the minimum voltage chosen in the Advance Settings section of the Solar Control Panel.

Even with a dump load, if it is on it is completely on, and if it is off it is completely off. I'd like something that ramps up or down, depending on battery voltage, and yes using items from 2009 if possible.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    What SCC are you using? If an XW MPPT then you can ZanBus them set for Enhanced Grid Interactive. It will run full daily charge cycle and sell any excess back to the grid. Firmware 1.07. XW MPPT and XW inverter charger not including the new +NA inverter. It has newer firmware.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭

Everything is really working exactly as designed, and thank you Dave for the help.

However, I'd like to be able to set a selling amount at a certain voltage, for example 8 amps at 52.5 volts. If the voltage goes up to 52.7 volts, I'd like to increase the selling amps to for example 10, until the voltage goes back to 52.5. If the voltage continues to go up, I'd like to keep increasing the selling amps until the voltage stops rising and returns to for example 52.5 volts. The same procedure if voltage is going down, except of course I'd like to reduce the sell amps. I figured out now when I'm awake that it will of course go to 0 selling amps when the voltage falls to the minimum voltage chosen in the Advance Settings section of the Solar Control Panel.

Even with a dump load, if it is on it is completely on, and if it is off it is completely off. I'd like something that ramps up or down, depending on battery voltage, and yes using items from 2009 if possible.

I don' think you can do the variable thing like you plan, but its a good idea.
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array