How much voltage does this battery put out? (pic)

ms334
ms334 Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
Stupid question, will this battery put out 12v when I have it hooked up to the solar panel, or will it put out more like 13? I'm trying to figure out the voltage drop for a camera I want to power 400ft away.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How much voltage does this battery put out? (pic)

A fully charge 12 volt battery will show ~ 12.7 vdc. On charge, it might show ~14.4 (or more). I would use maybe 12.5 vdc for calcs for voltge drop however. Unles your load is very small, you are gng to have significant voltage drop with 12 volts unless you use very large wire.

Good luck and keep in touch,

Tony
  • ms334

The camera and amp will use .280ma total. I guess if I used two cat5 cables that would be like 15ga so it might work. Would the cable itself use a lot of power? Like could the camera only use .280ma and the cable used 3 amps or something, since it's only 12v? I didn't think about the wire much when doing my solar calculations.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ms334,
    The proper conductor for that distance with the specified voltage and amperage would be #10 AWG however, I think that the cat 5 cables would work if you combine the conductors in each cable. Check the the conductor size of the cat 5 and use the tables and calculator at this site link. http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html
    Combining multiple conductors is generally not recommended, but for this low amperage case I would give it a try.
    Good luck,
    Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • ms334

Thanks for the replies, I think I might try a boost converter at the solar panel to make it 24v then a buck converter at the camera to take it back down to 12v. I might also try just running power from the house using a boost converter set at 60v dc and an adjustable buck converter at the camera.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    ms334 wrote: »
    Would the cable itself use a lot of power? Like could the camera only use .280ma and the cable used 3 amps or something, since it's only 12v?

The wires supplying power to your camera does now "use" amps. It will however, if too small for it's length, have too much resistance, which could well reduce the delivered voltage. I do have to ask though, and I'm not being sarcastic, will your 12 volt camera go up in smoke if supplied with a bit more than 12 volts? Most "12 volt" items are quite happy with 13.8 or more. Perhaps your camera is an exception?