Small system

2»

Comments

• SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Re: Small system

Jim said: 
       As you have determined, the controller is not delivering all available PV power when it’s operating in PWM mode (absorb or float). This is a good time to power an "opportunity load" from the “extra” power. For example, once my controller has been in absorb mode for ~1/2 hour, there’s enough "extra" power available from my PV array to power a 200 W attic fan without affecting the controller's ability to deliver enough charge current to maintain target battery voltage. 

Is there a way to automatically turn on such a load when that extra power is available?

John
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, not as I described above. The OutBack MX60 has a user-programmable AUX output (12 V x 200 mA) that can activate a relay to control a large load. Check the user manual for more details. The Apollo T80 controller has two outputs for "control of external devices".

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭

Update:

I said: 
      Update (340-watts of PV - 420ah battery bank - 800 watt/hour per day load):

The cloudy/rainy weather is still with us here in Southern Illinois, and I finally had to remove the load due to low battery voltage.  The freezer (load) ran for 24 days up to that point.

I noted that the charge controller stops applying charge current when the batteries are fully charged, and Jim said:  
         As you have determined, the controller is not delivering all available PV power when it’s operating in PWM mode (absorb or float). This is a good time to power an "opportunity load" from the “extra” power. For example, once my controller has been in absorb mode for ~1/2 hour, there’s enough "extra" power available from my PV array to power a 200 W attic fan without affecting the controller's ability to deliver enough charge current to maintain target battery voltage. 

Is there a way to automatically turn on such a load when that extra power is available? 

As far as I know, not as I described above.

Jim, that sounds like a good project for someone with an electronics background.  Can you briefly outline the specifications of a circuit or intelligent controller that might perform that function?  Thanks!

John