Need some help with Trace SW4024's

I have 3 Trace 4024 inverters. 2 were connected to batteries in reverse, and one has a bad fan module. I want to take the fan module out of one of the reverse connected ones and fix the one with the bad fan module. But which module/board is the right one? Duuuh:blush:

Thanks
Chuck

Comments

• Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95
    Re: Need some help with Trace SW4024's

No answers?

Chuck
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, you didn't hear it from me...

...but a couple of the guys over at Midnite solar were engineers at Trace, they might have an answer for you, the reverse connected inverters might even be a simple fix... Be kind and ask gently over at the MidNite forum and see if they can't help you out, they are very generous with their time, but it is their time. If you could take a photo of the insides, it might help them direct you to an answer.

You might ask in the 'off topic' section at the bottom, lots of old tech stuff displayed and discussed there.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Chuck,

These Inverters are old, and you are potentially asking a detail about the internal interconnections within ... so it might take some time for an answer.

I have never looked at a Trace SW's fan connection. And, am not certain just what you are calling the "fan module" ... The fan, itself could easily be bad, and just replacing the fan, itself, may get a the fan function working again.

Most probably, but, not necessarily correct, if you follow the wires/cable for the fan to the circuit board where it connects, this is the board where the fan driver circuit is located.

BUT, there is also (probably, again) a/some temperature measuring sensors that tell the fan driver when to run the fan, and perhaps just fast the fan needs to run ... it might be that one/some of the sensors are not doing their job/s.

Not knowing the extent to which you have done specific trouble-shooting, but I assume that you know that the 4024 with the non-working fan is a GOOD inverter(??).

There is one chap here -- RCinFLA -- who really knows the ins and outs of this broad family of inverters, and, there is also boB, who did lotta engineering at Trace/Xantrex -- co-founded Outback, and MidNite who knows lots about these inverters, as well.

Guessing done for now, Good Luck! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    I have never looked at a Trace SW's fan connection. And, am not certain just what you are calling the "fan module" ... The fan, itself could easily be bad, and just replacing the fan, itself, may get a the fan function working again.

Most probably, but, not necessarily correct, if you follow the wires/cable for the fan to the circuit board where it connects, this is the board where the fan driver circuit is located.

FWIW, I replaced the fan in a Xantrex/Prosine 1800 watt inverter, Then it failed the inverter the characteristics were it would run fine at lower power, but when it ran above around 500watts for any length of time it would shut down, the fan never running. I actually ordered a computer case fan to replace it with before finding I had the same spec fan I had scrapped from a tower.

Here's a link to the discovery.

Here is a link to my fan replacement.

Hope this gives you some confidence to replace the fan if that's the problem, It wasn't overly complicated, just took time and patience.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95

Thanks everyone, sometimes I over think stuff and make it more complicated then needed.:grr silly man.

Thanks
    Chuck