Using genset over night on xantrex inverter

zipsort
zipsort Registered Users Posts: 16
So we're having problems with our power going out over night, and we have a generator now. The xantrex trace tr3624 inverter has an extension cord plug in for AC pass through and the previous owner said he hooks up his generator to it for when the power goes out.

I have been searching and searching and read the manual and can't find the proper procedure for using it, it doesn't seem to be working. I thought it was as simple as plugging the generator into the inverter and now the power just runs thru the generator?

I must be missing something. The only button on the Xantrex is power on/off and battery check (which never seems accurate)

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Using genset over night on xantrex inverter
    zipsort wrote: »
    So we're having problems with our power going out over night, and we have a generator now. The xantrex trace tr3624 inverter has an extension cord plug in for AC pass through and the previous owner said he hooks up his generator to it for when the power goes out.

I have been searching and searching and read the manual and can't find the proper procedure for using it, it doesn't seem to be working. I thought it was as simple as plugging the generator into the inverter and now the power just runs thru the generator?

I must be missing something. The only button on the Xantrex is power on/off and battery check (which never seems accurate)
    There is not really a procedure to it. Plug in the generator and in about 10 seconds after the Inverter qualifies the input from the generator and sync's to it , it will transfer and the loads will be picked up by the generator. You need to watch though because that Inverter will also automatically start to charge the batteries and can overload the generator. It does have power share where it will cut the charger back, but it not always fool proof. They work ok on a generator, but weren't really designed for it, the control system is minimal.
  • zipsort
    There is not really a procedure to it. Plug in the generator and in about 10 seconds after the Inverter qualifies the input from the generator and sync's to it , it will transfer and the loads will be picked up by the generator. You need to watch though because that Inverter will also automatically start to charge the batteries and can overload the generator. It does have power share where it will cut the charger back, but it not always fool proof. They work ok on a generator, but weren't really designed for it, the control system is minimal.

Hmm, thats kinda what I thought. I plugged in the generator and it didn't really seem to make a difference. I would think it would beep or change to charging mode or something once it noticed the generator.

I think we need a new inverter
  • Blackcherry04
    Hmm, thats kinda what I thought. I plugged in the generator and it didn't really seem to make a difference. I would think it would beep or change to charging mode or something once it noticed the generator.

I think we need a new inverter
    Yeah, it could be a issue with it. The newer ones have a digital display so you can see the charger output. Make sure the generator output is good. How are the Batteries ?? The Inverter has to have good 24 V power from them, does it Invert ?? It could be a transfer relay problem. If it's loose drop it from about a inch on to a hard surface or slam it with a 2x4 or rubber mallet and see if the relays are stuck or have a bad contact, sometimes that will break them loose.
  • zipsort
    Yeah, it could be a issue with it. The newer ones have a digital display so you can see the charger output. Make sure the generator output is good. How are the Batteries ?? The Inverter has to have good 24 V power from them, does it Invert ?? It could be a transfer relay problem. If it's loose drop it from about a inch on to a hard surface or slam it with a 2x4 or rubber mallet and see if the relays are stuck or have a bad contact, sometimes that will break them loose.

We've been having problems with the batteries I think too or just that They aren't getting fully charged. Pretty much clueless with the solar equipment other than what I'm reading. Im completely off the grid and bought this property with it installed already. The inverter buzzes pretty loud so I'm thinking that is our weak link.

I tried to equalize the batteries and it seemed like nothing happened? Should the breaker be off when I do that?
  • Blackcherry04

Buzzing doesn't mean that much without knowing the Inverter, some do buzz and are louder than others. Does yours have that Digital display on it ?? Did you insert a tooth pick or something into the hole below the display to start the equalize ?? What breaker are you talking about ?? If the generator is in by-pass it shouldn't matter as long as you have enough input to do both. There about 3-4 variations of this Inverter, take a picture of the top of it and post it. If the battery selected is Gel / AGM it will not equalize.
  • zipsort
    Buzzing doesn't mean that much without knowing the Inverter, some do buzz and are louder than others. Does yours have that Digital display on it ?? Did you insert a tooth pick or something into the hole below the display to start the equalize ?? What breaker are you talking about ?? If the generator is in by-pass it shouldn't matter as long as you have enough input to do both. There about 3-4 variations of this Inverter, take a picture of the top of it and post it. If the battery selected is Gel / AGM it will not equalize.

The inverter is a Xantrex Trace TR3624, it does have a display, but it doesn't change when I plug in the generator. Yes, we tried the paperclip in the hole to equalize and nothing happened. The breaker shuts off everything to the panel to the house.

Also, it is set to flooded (which is what our batteries are, trojan L16)
  • Blackcherry04

Ok, do you ever see 3 dashes ( --- ) on the Display when the generator is hooked up to it ?? If not , it is not picking up the generator. It is hard to trouble shoot it here, I am not a Inverter guy, but I have fooled with a few of the TR's and DR's.
  • zipsort
    Ok, do you ever see 3 dashes ( --- ) on the Display when the generator is hooked up to it ?? If not , it is not picking up the generator. It is hard to trouble shoot it here, I am not a Inverter guy, but I have fooled with a few of the TR's and DR's.

No sir. Nothing happens when we plug the gen in, and I know the generator and cord work because I am using it as I type

How do I know if the generator is in by-pass? it is a honda eu3000
  • Blackcherry04
    No sir. Nothing happens when we plug the gen in, and I know the generator and cord work because I am using it as I type
    It is not picking the generator for some reason. I don't know what to tell you. Take a DVM and make sure the power is getting to the terminal block and make sure it's getting power. I have a TR 1524 and I use it on a generator, it gets the 3 dashes once it accepts the generator, even if the Inverter is in the off state.
  • zipsort
    It is not picking the generator for some reason. I don't know what to tell you. Take a DVM and make sure the power is getting to the terminal block and make sure it's getting power. I have a TR 1524 and I use it on a generator, it gets the 3 dashes once it accepts the generator, even if the Inverter is in the off state.

How do I know if the generator is in bypass? No option for that on the honda eu3000
  • Blackcherry04

You'll hear the Inverter transfer and see it on the display as it starts to charge, there is nothing on any generator to tell you that. The display has a LED in the right upper corner that shows if it's inverting, if it's out, it is in bypass.
  • zipsort
    You'll hear the Inverter transfer and see it on the display as it starts to charge, there is nothing on any generator to tell you that. The display has a LED in the right upper corner that shows if it's inverting, if it's out, it is in bypass.

Hmm, I haven't seen either an inverting or charging light on.
  • Blackcherry04
    Hmm, I haven't seen either an inverting or charging light on.
    Did you push the on / standby switch on the left of the display ??

Added : Is there a fuse or breaker on the cables going to the batteries ?? Is it getting 24 V input ??
  • zipsort
    Did you push the on / standby switch on the left of the display ??

Added : Is there a fuse or breaker on the cables going to the batteries ?? Is it getting 24 V input ??

Yeah, the inverter is on. Tells me how many watts I'm using and what not. Just nothing changes when I plug in a generator.

Yes there is. And I will check, but I assume so.

Attachment not found.
  • Blackcherry04
    Yeah, the inverter is on. Tells me how many watts I'm using and what not. Just nothing changes when I plug in a generator.

Yes there is. And I will check, but I assume so
    Then it's just not picking up the generator, something wrong with it. Give it a rap with something. They will get stuck sometimes if the relays stay's in one position for a long time. You'll have to find someone to repair it or go for a new one. Sorry I couldn't help you.

To be honest with you, it's at least a 15 year old design MSW Inverter. After Xantrex bought Trace they updated it with the display and then it was discontinued I think. Schneider may have some stock on them still. I wouldn't waste much money on it.
  • zipsort
    Then it's just not picking up the generator, something wrong with it. Give it a rap with something. They will get stuck sometimes if the relays stay's in one position for a long time. You'll have to find someone to repair it or go for a new one. Sorry I couldn't help you.

To be honest with you, it's at least a 15 year old design MSW Inverter. After Xantrex bought Trace they updated it with the display and then it was discontinued I think. Schneider may have some stock on them still. I wouldn't waste much money on it.

Yeah, pretty sure we're gonna just replace it