Solar Batch Water Heater

Chris
Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭
I've started on a little project to be able to have more hot water at the lake without have to burn propane....so far I got a hold of a used residential water heater, after getting it stripped down I found the leak that caused it to be replaced (cracked plastic fitting) so easy fix as I'm not using any plastic in side the housing anyways.

I'm building something similar to this
http://www.instructables.com/id/Batch-Solar-Water-Heater/?ALLSTEPS

Has anyone made one of these? if so how well do they work? obviously I don't expect to use it in the winter but fall and spring would be nice.

Now for you RVers out there, just brain storming here, but could I plumb the water water into the existing under body winterizing drain hose?

Comments

• Chris
    Re: DIY RV Solar Water Heater

Got the tank all painted and leak tested today....as soon as I get the glass I'll start framing the collector box
  • Chris

Just needs a coat of paint.....but got er out in the front yard and filled for a test run tomorrow. :D

FB4508F6-B0C1-4E4D-BB0F-9EB3F26D3792_zpsuy7sbsqh.jpg
    48758A37-B299-40FD-ADC6-8B7F24C98F69_zpsc77zxdn2.jpg
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good! did you leave the pressure relief valve in place? ...with a drain going outside of the box?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Chris

I sure did

Can't wait to see how well it works....the wife is pretty pumped about the idea.....well, not so much about helping me carry it up the bank LOL
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I sure like those solar flowers you planted (in the background photo 2)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chris
    westbranch wrote: »
    I sure like those solar flowers you planted (in the background photo 2)

LOL,
    That's not even a fraction of the amount that the wifey has.....prolly 30 or so here, and maybe 60-80 at the lake. (she has a bit of an obsession)
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice job. And yes they do work well.
  • Chris
    Slappy wrote: »
    Looks like a nice job. And yes they do work well.

Thanx, Didn't get as hot as I expected today......minda ya I didn't have it pointed south. I got a first coat of flat black paint on it tonight.

Do you have one?
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used one for a back up a few years back when our hot water tank lit the house up at 2 in the morning electrical short that went off like a arc welder. But now im using a closed loop system with flat plate collectors all off which is diy style. But back to the batch collector we got three showers out of it. 40 gallon tank and catching morning sun and until 1 pm in the after noon durning November to December. Location north east TN. So it get fairly cool at that time. Exuse my typing and short sentenaces, it is hard to type from this smart phone.every thing runs off the screen and cant stroll it back to proof read or make corrections.