AC line ethernet (non radio ethernet)

mike95490
mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever use or have luck with, a Ethernet connection over AC power line adapters ?

I've got a wireless router in the battery shed for monitoring, but the house is 300' away, with 4 walls and vegetation. I can barely get a connection in my office overlooking the site, but not enough signal for a tablet with the combox app. So I was thinking of using the AC lines, from the inverter to the house, to carry the data, and then a wireless router in the house.

Suggestions ?
Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
|| Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
|| VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: AC line ethernet (non radio ethernet)

Haven tried them, no. But adding a directional antenna to your wifi AP will fix the link issues.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »

Haha Funny thing is, I tried this basic idea with the transmitter of my wireless remote weather station a few years ago after finding the signal too weak to properly penetrate the walls of the house. And guess what - - - it worked!
    I did however have to play around a bit with the curve/shape of the reflector, and I used an opened up section of aluminum dryer vent pipe instead of a beer can, but in the end it solved the problem. Definitely worth a try.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My son uses the netgear and it works great. (Powerline 200 nano).
  • frank.thomson
    frank.thomson Registered Users Posts: 15
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use or have luck with, a Ethernet connection over AC power line adapters ?

I've got a wireless router in the battery shed for monitoring, but the house is 300' away, with 4 walls and vegetation. I can barely get a connection in my office overlooking the site, but not enough signal for a tablet with the combox app. So I was thinking of using the AC lines, from the inverter to the house, to carry the data, and then a wireless router in the house.

Suggestions ?

I have tried a few and can say they are awesome. I would recommend you the following:
    1) NetGear XAV2101
    2) Trendnet TPL-307E2K

If you go with the above two, tried tested and works well for about ~30m what I tried. There may be newer versions and cheaper alternatives, but lookout on Amazon and read reviews before buying. Few of them like the Trendnet one above have a pass-through socket so that you don't loose an outlet. Just remember that you have to plug them in the same circuit. You can't plug one in the L1 and other end in L2 and expect to work. Also if you have old building wiring, I have read people complain of poor connections.

My only gripes with this devices is that none of the manufacturer tells you the range/distance you can keep. Am sure there is a number but they never put it on the box.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

My only gripes with this devices is that none of the manufacturer tells you the range/distance you can keep. Am sure there is a number but they never put it on the box.

I've also noticed this on many such items. Instead of providing a range in feet or metres, they provide such vague statements as " for average size homes". That's interesting, as in some parts of the world the "average" is a single room tin shack, while in other parts, the "average" is multi-acre mansions like that claimed by Justin Bieber.
  • Timinator
    Timinator Solar Expert Posts: 32

Netgear Powerline Ethernet Connectors work great in my house. They are faster than any WiFi signal and are easier to configure. I use them for my HDTV's, Weathercam, Weatherlink Meteohub weather station, all my desktop computers, etc. Absolute plug and play. I buy them cheap off of eBay < $20 each.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

+1 for wifi. I have a 800ft connection going through wooden wall + 200ft of pine forest. Used a pair of these: http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanostationm awesome bits of kit; they're rated for exterior installation and are bit more rugged than the consumer devices.
    In fact, I have picked up my wifi signal at the nearby town which has line of site to the access point, and is more than 1km away.