Adding panels need advice

lipets
lipets Solar Expert Posts: 61 ✭✭
I have a Sanyo 195 ba 19 panel brand new in box.

Model Number
HIP-195BA19

Other Model Number
HIT-195

Power Output (W)

Open Circuit Voltage (V)

Short Circuit Current (A)

CEC PTC Rating

Power per square foot (W/ft²)

Area (ft²)

Weight (lbs)

Height (in)

Width (in)

Length (in)

I need more power I would like to get about a total of 400-450 watts on the roof, this panel is discontinued.

What other panels might I use to accomplish this, and how would I wire them?

tks

Comments

• WillBkool
    WillBkool Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Re: Adding panels need advice

Do you know the Vmp and Imp? I'm thinking that it is around 60 volts for that panel. That is definitely a grid-tie panel, you may be able to get some 30 volt panels, run them in series, and then run those in parallel with this one.
    1220 Watts, 4 Evergreen 120 watt, 1 Eoplly 190 watt; 1 Sungold 200 watt; 2 175 Watt; M-Star 15A MPPT; C40 PWM; 6 105 AH AGM Configured to 315@24V
    Cotek 1500 watt/24v
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

That is a very odd-spec panel. You probably will not find anything that will match it, even in combinations. Spare yourself the headache and buy new, matching panels. See if you can sell the Sanyo 195 for a few bucks.
  • lipets

I have someone that want's it for project so I can sell it.

What brands or specs should I look for to get about 400-450 watts going a 4 or 6 bank of 6volt batteries.

Ex: 4 100 or 2 200
  • Cariboocoot
    lipets wrote: »
    I have someone that want's it for project so I can sell it.

What brands or specs should I look for to get about 400-450 watts going a 4 or 6 bank of 6volt batteries.

Ex: 4 100 or 2 200

I think you may want to re-examine the method of designing a system.
    Step #1 is always "define the loads". Without knowing how much power you need to supply you'll just be guess at everything and will be disappointed in how well it works.
    Step #2 is to determine the battery bank size in Amp hours @ Volts. You can put four 6 Volt batteries in series/parallel configuration for 12 Volts or all in series for 24 Volts. And 6 Volt batteries come in a variety of Amp hour capacities.
    Step #3 then is to determine how much array is need to recharge those batteries and what charge controller is best to connect them through.
  • lipets

I know the load requires 400-450 watts that was figured out, my question now just relates how to configure the panels to achieve that.

The battery bank will be 12V.
  • Cariboocoot
    lipets wrote: »
    I know the load requires 400-450 watts that was figured out, my question now just relates how to configure the panels to achieve that.

The battery bank will be 12V.

Okay, a load drawing 450 Watts - for how long? Turn it on for one hour and that's 450 Watt hours. At 12 Volts that is approximately 37.5 Amp hours used, not including losses or power going to run an inverter. That would mean about an 80 Amp hour battery for 50% DOD or 160 for 25% DOD (better). Just for one hour's operation.