Shurfo "Revolution" Pump Review

Options
ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
I live in Cambodia. My better half has a small farm house 30 kilometers southwest of the city of Battambang. The house and farm are 100% off-grid. We are making some - let's call them "creature comfort" adjustments to the house so I can live there with her. One of those adjustments is a pressurized the water system, pumping water into the home for bath and kitchen needs.

We collect rainwater from the roof of the house, for almost all of our water needs. I considered going with a well, but want to see how rainwater harvesting provides for us, first, before going to the additional cost of drilling a well. (We get as many inches of rain here, as some of you folks probably get in snow.)

I chose a Shurflo Revolution Pump for this project. I went with this particular pump brand because of Shurflo's reputation in the RV world across North America. That was one of my better choices. This is a 12vdc pump, rated at 3.0 GPM (11.1 LPM), and 55 PSI. I am quite sure this pump will provide all the water pressure and volume, we will need. I was pretty excited about getting it up and running, at least long enough to test it out. So, I temporarily wired it up just outside the bathroom door, near where the kitchen will be. But, after everything is said and done, I may very well leave it right there. You can barely hear the pump running.

When we were ready to test the system for leaks, I connected the pump to the buss bars coming directly from the battery bank. Nothing. Tried again. Still nothing. At first, I thought it was a "dead out of the box" unit, and was a bit unsure how frustrated I may be shortly thereafter. (I waited 10 business days of shipping to get here from the US.) However, a couple seconds later, I began to hear the water hitting the ground in the shower (I had forgotten to glue one minor pipe fitting. The pump found the weakest link and blew it off like a geiser.). I realized she was pumpin' like ol' faithful. Needless to say, I am impressed with the volume of water, the pressure, and especially the noise level.

For your (above ground) solar water pumping needs, I would definitely recommend this pump.

I meant to test it to see exactly how many amperes it was drawing, but forgot to do that. Next time.

If you decide to go with a Shurflo pump, do make sure you purchase an inline strainer to connect to the suction side of the pump. Cheap insurance, I say, with a 50 mesh screen inside.

Attachment not found. Attachment not found.
Paul

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Shurfo "Revolution" Pump Review

If you decide to try for a water well (for drinking/cooking)--You should probably have the water checked. In many regions of the world, there is significant Arsenic in ground water--Including Cambodia.

http://www.unicef.org/cambodia/As_Mitigation_in_Cambodia_2009.pdf

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Shurfo "Revolution" Pump Review
    BB. wrote: »
    If you decide to try for a water well (for drinking/cooking)--You should probably have the water checked. In many regions of the world, there is significant Arsenic in ground water--Including Cambodia.

There is one well nearby, a community well of a sorts. I would have that water checked first, prior to considering our own. But, you are correct, in that arsenic has been found in some of the groundwater in Cambodia.
    Paul