Primus air 40 hookup questions

Poolguy
Poolguy Registered Users Posts: 10
I am thinking of purchasing an air 40 to experiment and mess around with. I am confused as the literature says that the charge controller is built in. Do I just hook this directly to my battery bank? I have solar now with a charge controller and could I just hook this directly to the battery bank and not damage my existing solar charge controller?

Also if I use a stop switch, does this use some current to keep the blades from rotating? How much? If I have the stop switch off for say days or weeks how does that work?

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Primus air 40 hookup questions

In general, you just connect the wind turbine (with internal charge controller) to the battery bank.

If you want a stop switch, you usually use a double throw switch. First position power from + turbine to + battery bank (and fuse/breaker).

Second position, power from turbine + to turbine ground--That short circuit current (should) put a lot of torque on the turbine and stall the blades.

See page 21 and beyond in the Primus manual:

http://www.primuswindpower.com/files/9713/7107/4681/Primus_Air_Manual_4-2013.pdf

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset