Rogue MPT-3048 now available

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
According to their latest press release it will begin shipping this week.

Okay, who's going to be first? :D

Comments

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Re: Rogue MPT-3048 now available

I think he is pricing himself out of the market here. The unit is listed at $400 when another 100 clams will get you a much better classic lite. Further more midnite "kid" has similar to better specs(although there is not lcd display) and is suppose to be selling sub $300 whenever it comes out. I would buy one but he has to be south of $300.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

add to that that naws is selling the tristar 45a mppt cc for $409.
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭

Lots of differences, so it's hard to compare. As far as I know, the Kid is not yet available, and there are a number of features that the 3048 has which it does/will not, at least judging by the specs so far released. My main concern with it would be the 25degC derating. The 3048 can operate up to 60degC ambient without derating. Wait until it comes out and then let's compare. Last I heard it was also going to be in the $400 range. The TS-MPPT-45 also does not come with a display or battery temp sensor, comm is limited to RS-232 (short distance), and a number of other differences which become evident if you take the time to read through the user's manual. Add extra optional features, and you're well over $500. Not made in the US, which matters to some. As noted, the Classic Lite baseline model can be had for $500, but plenty of people still buy Morningstar. Classic lite does not have a display or user interface and requires DIP switch adjustments for operating setpoints, relies on fan cooling, not sure about conformal coating.

All of these controllers are quite different when you really look into the details. All depends on what features are important to you.

Marc
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

Good points about the lcd, etc. While the lower max Voc input is going to be a drawback for some, the 60 degree C operating temp is going to give it a big leg up in hot operating environments!.

The list price of the Kid is said to be $400 but who knows what the street price will be?

No doubt the MPT-3048 is a great CC and will be the perfect solution for many. It's actually nice to see that there will be some variety in specs and choices in the mid range CC market.
  • mahendra
    mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

the new rouge is nice yes but i was thinking they would do better with the voltage and price as compared to morning star and midnite
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Morning Star makes a lot of money on displays, temperature sensors, and com bus adapters.

In general, Marc was selling everything for the base price.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

There is a basic problem with pricing small MPPT controllers; it is not a matter of a 30 Amp controller costing half as much as a 60 Amp controller. The basic 'guts' of the two could be the same, and the different components to handle the additional current is not the majority of the cost. Therefor there has always been a reluctance to manufacture smaller MPPT controllers because they can't be made significantly cheaper than large ones. That is why the cost effectiveness for MPPT tends to be on systems over 400 Watts which would produce greater than 30 Amps of current.

However with the falling prices of "GT" panels this is not necessarily the case anymore.