Is it a good idea to connect load directly to the controller?

Is it a good idea to connect load directly to the controller?
I'm thinking of connecting my 12/24 Volt , 100w refrigerator to my Morninstar MPPT SunSaver 45A controller.
I want to do that in the daytime while batteries are being charged, then in the night time I would reconnect refrigerator to batteries.
Would that help me have a maximum power in my batteries for night time use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Is it a good idea to connect load directly to the controller?

No.

Some controllers have "LOAD" terminals on them for connecting low power DC loads. They usually allow the controller to disconnect the load if the battery Voltage falls below a certain point.

In general, though, loads should be connected directly to the battery (through fuse/breaker) rather than on charge controller terminals. The output of the controller connects to the battery anyway, and will supply such power as is available from the panels. It does not matter if that power is going to charge the battery or some/all is being "bled off" by the loads connected to the battery. The net result is the same.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Is it a good idea to connect load directly to the controller?
    No.

Some controllers have "LOAD" terminals on them for connecting low power DC loads. They usually allow the controller to disconnect the load if the battery Voltage falls below a certain point.
    And, if your inverter or other loads do not have a low voltage disconnect, then relay connected to the load terminals may be the way to go. But watch out for Load terminals which also get disconnected when the PV input stops.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.