Kyocera Junction Box Failure..???

Maine Sail
Maine Sail Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi All,

Last September I purchased a Kyocera 140W panel with junction box. Today I noticed that every one of the screw hole receptacles has literally cracked and crumbled. It looks as if the stainless insert the screw threads into expanded and contracted differently than the plastic. Long and short is the cover won't even stay on any more because the screw holes are totally ruined.. I would expect more from a quality band like Kyocera. I've installed lots of these panels and this is the only one, so far, that this has happened to...

Is this just an isolated incident or is this a known issue? How do you think Kyocera will stand behind the product.?

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Kyocera Junction Box Failure..???

If you bought the panel new it should be under warranty. Kyocera is known to stand behind their products. You should contact the retailer you bought it from and see what they say.

If that retailer was Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, please be advised that they do not regularly monitor this forum for business purposes nor do any of us moderators have any connection with the business. You must contact them directly.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i've not heard of it. i doubt a retailer will cover it as you need to contact kyocera.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like counterfeit parts, either the whole panel, or K. got a load of bum J boxes.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Long shot: over-torqued screws.
  • Maine Sail
    Maine Sail Registered Users Posts: 11
    Long shot: over-torqued screws.

Definitely not over torqued the entire box and cover plate are extremely brittle. I've installed piles of these and never had this type of issue. Contacted my distributor today and sent pictures. I'll just have to wait & see how this turns out....

150586579.jpg
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There can be compounding problems with the plastic. Or even if the panel got a lot of UV (reflections from water) on the underside of the panel--could also make the plastic brittle.

If there was a fuel vent, exhaust pipe from engine, or something generating ozone nearby could also cause similar problems. Even some type of lubricant (grease/oils/solvents) that may have gotten on the box (such as during maintenance/painting)...

It will be interesting to see what the vendor says/does.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset