Air 30

Heine71
Heine71 Registered Users Posts: 1
Will I be able to use my Air30 12v to help charge my 24v bank using my Classic 150, or would I need a converter?
I did read the Classic will convert 24v to 12v, but did not see it the opposite way.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Air 30

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is "no"; you can't up-convert with a standard MPPT charge controller.
    You could use a DC to DC converter to increase the Voltage (at the cost of current of course), but frankly it would be a bit unstable because the turbine's output is variable and the converters are meant to have stable input Voltage. Frankly more trouble than it's worth to try.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Air 30

Apparently the Classics can be setup to boost voltage, but it hasn't been implemented, I don't know to what extent, boB has said he might spend some time on it, I think, but his plate is pretty full. You might ask over at the Midnite forum..

Here's one of the threads. Doesn't sound like boB has a great interest in working on it at that point. Of course that was back in 2011, I had read something more recently, but it's not of great interest to me.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.