ATS DC relay ?

Options
GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
This ATS has a DC relay, assuming to trip the transfer when energized by another relay ??

My Automatic Transfer switch setup is the following:

1) 120VAC Inverter (in the barn) with a 12v relay to turn it on from inside the house. 15 deep cycle battery bank in parallel, plenty of poop there.
2) Switching back and forth from power company to isolated circuits.

Going to try a 12vDC programmable timer for 9am-6pm relay on. In series to that, a voltage control switch DC to control the battery bank voltage (High enough 13.5v initial turn on and Low 12.2v shut off) to trip the DC relay in the ATS when both conditions are met.

The question is, will it work with this ATS ?

http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/b246.html
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: ATS DC relay ?

Yes, will work. Has been in commission for about 2 months now and under control. The shoreline should be the power company. Generator side should be your solar/wind source wiring 120v/240v ac from your inverter. This ATS will convert 120v ac into 120v dc 2 watts to operate the dc relay. When it senses power from my system, it switches over to it. It's a great bargain and I've already bought another one for my backup battery bank and inverter. $145 bucks OTD.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: ATS DC relay ?
    This ATS has a DC relay, assuming to trip the transfer when energized by another relay ??

My Automatic Transfer switch setup is the following:

1) 120VAC Inverter (in the barn) with a 12v relay to turn it on from inside the house. 15 deep cycle battery bank in parallel, plenty of poop there.
    2) Switching back and forth from power company to isolated circuits.

Going to try a 12vDC programmable timer for 9am-6pm relay on. In series to that, a voltage control switch DC to control the battery bank voltage (High enough 13.5v initial turn on and Low 12.2v shut off) to trip the DC relay in the ATS when both conditions are met.

The question is, will it work with this ATS ?

http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/b246.html

Well GPM, a quick internet search turned up the manual for the switch, here.

There are no external contacts to control the switch. What it does is look for AC from the "generator" input (where you would connect your inverter, I presume) and after as long as 90 seconds after some power appears it will decide that the power is stable and within voltage limits and automatically switch from shore (POCO in your case) power to generator power.
    As soon as the generator stops, it will switch back to shore power whether shore power is present or not.

The DC relay part simply refers to the way it drives the large contactor relays internally and is of no importance to you.

What this all means is that whenever you start the inverter with your remote switch and/or timer, the ATS will switch over to it after a short time delay. It is also possible to bypass the delay.

If you are looking at this as backup power for POCO outages, then you should be in fairly good shape. If your goal is to save money (or the environment) by running off batteries part of the time you have not done the calculations realistically.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.