Edison Energy Rate Analysis and Evaluation !

Batikikik
Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which rate will be the best for commercial and agricultural customers after solar photovoltaic installation ??
Is there any rates that does not have demand charge or horsepower charge ???
For example what would be the best rate after solar installation for existing Edison AG-TOU-SOP(Super Off Peak) rate ??? is there any rate which does not have a demand charge or hp charge ??

Thank you

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Edison Energy Rate Analysis and Evaluation !

You have to understand your use profile versus time of day and know what percentage is PV supplied. Problem is usually afternoon/early evening where your use is high but you are still on high day rate. Then there are cloudy days.

I am sure some people make out but I don't know too many solar setups that make out ahead on TOU utility rates.

Super off rate is midnight to 6 am.
  • Batikikik
    Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭

After solar installation best rates usually are TOU rates. But there is still demand charges and horsepower charges which is I am trying to figure out is there any rate which does not have those charges ???
    Edison has rate which calls Option R, but I dont know does it have demand charges or no
  • Iron Bran
    Iron Bran Registered Users Posts: 10

You should look into using the Xantrex XW series inverters, which have the ability to shave these peak energy demands by pulling from the battery when necessary.

Check out this information direct from the XW 4024 / 4048 / 6048 inverter and charger manual....

Attachment not found.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Load shifting through battery storage is always a loser. You have to factor in the cost of battery replacements which will net out to overall more cost then not having a PV assist.

For XW, because of ripple current on batteries, it will degrade longevity of batteries for any push to grid. This is even with just load shaving mode used. You have to want (and pay the price) for battery backup capability for grid outage.